?? Dizzy question

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Here's one for the book.

Brand new out of the box MSD 8571 Dizzy.

All hooked up, no spark at the plug wires. Great spark at the coil, and the dizzy end of the coil wire.

Pulled the cap and cranked- spark jumps from the center out to a plug terminal..

Cap back on, no spark at plug terminals.

Either the rotor is leaking thru or the cap (came with the dizzy) is toast, unless someone has an idea.:huh::huh::huh:

Rotor out of phase? Does the gear dimple line up with the rotor tip?

I dunno. But it should still spark at a wire once in a while. Turning the dizzy it ought to hit somewhere..But I'll pull it and look too.

I called MSD's tech line-- ZERO help there. One tech said it had to be the ground from the engine to the battery. I think 1.2 ohms is low enough to not be a problem..

NOT surprised about their tech line...but it sounds like CAP to me....

can't BE anything else....U SURE that i'ts dead at all 8 output terminals....??

pull the wires and crank....anything home at the terminals...??

:banghead::banghead:

Hate to say it, but I not a fan of MSD anyway....

:gurney::gurney:

No idea what was going on- I put a new cap and rotor on it and it's fine. THe ones that came with the new dizzy look exactly like the ones I put on, but there sure is something going on. I tried the rotor first, (no help), then the cap, (no help), then both. RUns like a top. Go figure. ANd the original stuff looks perfect..

ahhhhhp!!! KEEP IN MIND I dunno MSD other than the 6a boxes...

BUT I wonder if you have a crimp coil connection where the formvar insulation of some part is just crimped to the connector and not solidly piercing the laquer/formvar insulation so you have a bad connection....

I caught and proved a stock HEI coil that a ways definately BAD....no +12 with ign ON....engine still....so therefore the coil was OPEN, soldered the connections, and that coil is still in service....

typical.....

:tomato::rain::rolleyes::clobbered: