Mallory sucks....

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
green dockey dicks :sick:

That fantastic crab cap converted magnetic breakerless is dead as a doorknob..... the "amplifier" is dead. I need a new one double quick time. Can anyone help me? My normal parts source, Ze Zjerman connection Mybad79 is getting wasted on Aruba and digging trenches on the beach there :friends::drink: ... this means I'm in deep doo doo!! The engine won't run.

Can anyone help me get a new one double quick time? Summit of course wants a int. seller fee. I have a bunch of unilites but it's not compatible...it just won't fit.

I have a crazy idea about snipping off the wires of the pole piece and doing away with the amplifier and then hooking the pole piece directly to the hyfire box's magnetic trigger wires, I think it should work but it's kinda bubba. Anyone have reason why it shouldn't work? Can't think of one.

Does the amplifier box do anything special? (I'm not personally familiar with more recent Mallory systems. I grew to dislike them in the 70's, and never looked at them again.) What does the Hyfire box use for an input signal? Is it possible, short term, to just use something like a GM (Delco) seven terminal EST module to convert the magnetic signal to a square wave that triggers the Hyfire box? As I mentioned, I'm not familiar with the Mallory box, and need a bit more info to see what the problem is.

Mike

It's not a box, it's inside the mag. breakerless distributor. It allows you to fire a coil directly off the distributor. if you have a magnetic trigger type distributor you will need either an electronic ignition box or an external amplifier. That's why I want to cut the wires and hook it to the hyfire box, it has an option (like all those boxes) to trigger a coil for a non amplified trigger type distributor. The hyfire box can use both mag. triggers and a normal signal like from a unilite, mag breakerless and other types of distributors (in which case you get + and - to the distr. and a trigger signal back to the box, that is otherwise used to fire the coil)

No need for the est, the hyfire box can amplify the signal for the oil, that way the distributor is "neutered" and only has a working reluctor/pole piece for a trigger.

Amplifier is a bad word for it anyway, it doesn't amplify the signal at all, it is actually the real trigger, it takes the slow magnetic trigger signal and turns it into a fast trigger to fire the coil, in that respect it's more like a translator.

It's not a box, it's inside the mag. breakerless distributor. It allows you to fire a coil directly off the distributor. if you have a magnetic trigger type distributor you will need either an electronic ignition box or an external amplifier. That's why I want to cut the wires and hook it to the hyfire box, it has an option (like all those boxes) to trigger a coil for a non amplified trigger type distributor. The hyfire box can use both mag. triggers and a normal signal like from a unilite, mag breakerless and other types of distributors (in which case you get + and - to the distr. and a trigger signal back to the box, that is otherwise used to fire the coil) If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the box has the capability/option of reading a VR signal. Sounds like it should work.
No need for the est, the hyfire box can amplify the signal for the oil, that way the distributor is "neutered" and only has a working reluctor/pole piece for a trigger.
My suggestion of using an EST module was strictly for the ability to take the VR signal in, and produce the squared up REF (reference) signal output. I had assumed that the final coil switching unit required a <12v square wave signal to trigger it.
Amplifier is a bad word for it anyway, it doesn't amplify the signal at all, it is actually the real trigger, it takes the slow magnetic trigger signal and turns it into a fast trigger to fire the coil, in that respect it's more like a translator.

This translator function sounds like what I was mentioning with the EST module. Sorry for all the questions, but this Mallory system seems more hardware intensive than most systems require.

So you agree :) I'm convinced it will work too. I'll probably test it sometime soon. Yeah, the amplifier is basically part of what the est also does. The mallory system by itself, if working, is not hardware intensive at all. All you need is the small distributor and a coil.

I agree with 69427- I'm running the old GM TI dizzy and a summit (Mallory) box. Just hooked into the dizzy for the mag pickup. That's all that's in there anyway. Works just fine. I've still got the TI amp and all the wiring in place so if the box shoots it's wad I can plug the original TI stuff back in.

turns out the pole piece is not a piece of pole but a piece of shit :D it triggers erratically. Quickly set it up w/ a MSD mag trigger and swapped in some ugly HEI wires. We have a running engine, will post vid later (google has to approve it d'oh)

Imagine how much fun it would be if buried by a bunch of fuel lines.:smash:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:I wasn't sure if you were going to catch that one.:beer: