What is best spark plugs

BangkokDean

What is the best spark plugs for my 350, 9.5 to 1 compression with Edelbrock performer heads and intake, 650 Edl carb. Hooker side exhaust. Comp Cams High Energy 268H.:sos:

Those that do the job without costing a fortune. Forget all the multitip, super electrode crap. Just get a regular set of gasket reach plugs in the proper heat rainge and be done with it. Are your current plugs too cold/hot? fouling up?? What's the matter?

Those that do the job without costing a fortune. Forget all the multitip, super electrode crap. Just get a regular set of gasket reach plugs in the proper heat rainge and be done with it. Are your current plugs too cold/hot? fouling up?? What's the matter?

I have a miss and the motor is slow in accelerating so I am thinking I need to replace the plugs and wires. Parts for American cars and not available here so I need to order from Keen in Ohio. I also have a slight popping on the right side exhaust when giving the gas.

Wise advice. The exotic material types like irridium were tested by Lars, and he found them to be worse than plain stockers.

i hope you don't have some valve train problem, if so hopefully just a bent pushrod.

i put antiseeze on the plug threads for aluminum heads. Ya'll think that is necessary?

Last edited:
Great now I know what not to use but anyone know what plugs I should get? Please don't say white.:lol:

Go to Edelbrock's website and see what plugs they call for. You need to match the reach and thread diameter with the head. On my BB aluminum heads, it takes a 14mm .750 plug. Then I pick the heat range- I stay about the middle, and I also get plugs that are a 5/8 hex so they're easier to get in and out. And right after all that, I get the cheapest ones I can find. Been using Autolites for a while now with no complaints.

I don't think that with our old (design) engines it really matters, I think I have Autolites right now but I'm not sure.... I believe I just got the standard ones that are listed for a '79 Vette....Autolite part number 26 is listed on AdvancedAuto.com

Here's what I found in Edelbrocks PDF file for part number 60899 (RPM heads)
❑ Edelbrock head bolt kit #8550 (see instructions below)
❑ 14mm x 3/4" reach x 5/8" hex, gasketed spark plugs (heat
range to be determined by specific application)
❑ Adjustable rocker arm assembly (Premium roller rockers
recommended)
❑ +.100" longer-than-stock hardened pushrods; Edelbrock
#9629 (For use with stamped steel rocker arms or with 64cc
heads in some cases)

From MyBad's post-- I did forget that the GM heads also use gasketed plugs- I'm running Autolite 3923 or 3924's. Middle of the road for heat range, and they're lasting longer than the AR- series plugs I was using..

Autolite did change their plug numbering system too. So you may have to find a cross reference

Well I ordered new wires and plugs from Corvette Central. The plugs and wires are for a stock 1980 so as soon as they arrive I will install them. I hope this helps to get my motor so I can get more than 2,000 RPM with out that annoying miss and back fire.:banghead:

Last edited:
Well I ordered new wires and plugs from Corvette Central. The plugs and wires are for a stock 1980 so as soon as they arrive I will install them. I hope this helps to get my motor so I can get mote than 2,000 RPM with out that annoying miss and back fire.:banghead:

The plugs won't work Dean. Stock 80 are tapered seat. Alum needs gasketed. You could have bought them in Bakersfield for $1.99 @.

The plugs won't work Dean. Stock 80 are tapered seat. Alum needs gasketed. You could have bought them in Bakersfield for $1.99 @.

I thought the 80 plugs were gasket-ed????also I did not know I had a problem till I returned home and finished my header install.:tomato:

Last edited:
Edelbrock tells you to use gasketed spark plugs in their tech doc..... I don't remember what I installed and I don't remember what the seat looks like (conical or not)....

So it looks like I have ordered the incorrect plugs,:cussing: I guess I can sell them here but now I really need the correct plugs for my heads. Anyone interested in shipping a set by USPS to me??? I can send a check from my CA account for the plugs and shipping. :fishing:

I have a spare set in the garage, I can box it up and drop it off at the post office tomorrow..... I actually keep a few international flat rate boxes in my garage ;);)

Well I received the plugs from MyBad and new plug wires from Corvette Central so I install these and boy what a difference.:2nd: I can once again drive my Vette and enjoy the drive. The funny thing is it now Idell's 100 rpm more:lol: