heat soaked starter

mvette76

is there and easy fix for this. my car has ceramic coated headers and after driving around for a while if i shut the motor off it won't turn over till it cools. but i can jump the starter and it will start

The weakness is in the solenoid. (That's why jumping it works) Any type of heat shield you can install between the solenoid and header will help.

you can get a remote mounted solenoid and wire that to the ignition switch. A ford solenoid works well.

The remote solenoid shorts the big terminal to the S terminal. The lower resistance will pull the starter mounted solenoid in.

or just use a screwdriver.

mini starters are not prone to the heat soak problem. You could just go to a mini starter.

My starter was heat soaking every time I'd stop for gas. I installed a high-torque mini-starter... No more heat soak. Turns the engine over fast. Starts every time...

I bought it on eBay for less than $100.

Didn't you go thru 3 of those?:confused2:

yea, but i'm real hard on stuff. If you hadn't noticed.

My choke wasn't working and it took me about a dozen starts to get the thing going cold. I put a manual choke on and it starts on the seccond time now.

I don't have a choke on anything, all it takes is a one way valve in the fuel line to quickly fill the float with a bump of the starter, 5 taps on the pedal to squirt some fuel in and then it starts, feather it about 30 secs and it'll run without a stinking choke messing about with the idle speed and all. I hate chokes!

I don't have a choke on anything, all it takes is a one way valve in the fuel line to quickly fill the float with a bump of the starter, 5 taps on the pedal to squirt some fuel in and then it starts, feather it about 30 secs and it'll run without a stinking choke messing about with the idle speed and all. I hate chokes!

it gets cold here. Gotta have it.

It gets cold hee too

daddy must have a heated garage.:p

L98 heads with no heat crossover makes things even worse.

anyway i think the remote solenoid is a really good fix. Use #10 and put it as close to the starter as convenient. There's just too much resistance in the starter switch circuit and that's the big problem.

Last edited: