Need Some Wiring Help Please

4 SPEED

Need some help trying to find out what the red wire is for on my 74
Looks like it goes into some type of condensor or something?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• P1020070.JPG
    P1020070.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
it looks like the wire for the distributor. One block is a fuse, the other a resistor...

The wire comes out of the harness and goes back in the harness.
Don't see where it would go to the distributor.

Looks like a standard set up for a C3?

Looks like a blown fusible link to me.....but the end being retaped over that that makes no sense.....I have a suspicion it maybe went to the blower motor setup at one point, OR possibly to the battery post on the starter....when I blew, the car was rewired, hopefully with a fuse???

:bonkers::flash:

Looks like a blown fusible link to me.....but the end being retaped over that that makes no sense.....I have a suspicion it maybe went to the blower motor setup at one point, OR possibly to the battery post on the starter....when I blew, the car was rewired, hopefully with a fuse???

The wire with the tape on it is not the one I am asking about.
That wire was just hanging there and I put tape for just in case.
The red wire is the one I don't have a clue about.

The wire with the tape on it is not the one I am asking about.
That wire was just hanging there and I put tape for just in case.
The red wire is the one I don't have a clue about.

OK, I not even noticed the adjacent white wire, we leave that alone for now....that red wire looks like a blown fusible link, and when it flamed out, it affected that white insulation also.....

I have never seen a fuse link that loops out and back like that, something is fishy about it's existance there like that....I would pull the dizzy cap and get a better look, all my years of GM vehicles, I never seen a wire loop like that....

sorry can't be more specific, at this point I curious as you are....

:cussing:

Is there anything connected to the alarm plunger switch visible at the far left of that photo? I had a white wire in that location that connected to that switch.

I just dealt with a pink wire in that location.... pretty sure it's the distributor wire - however, mine is a 75 so it wouldn't have had the resistor in it or the fuse.

it's not the blower wire - the blower wire is red and goes directly across to the relay.

this wire - you can see the red wire that goes to the fan in that same picture
P3260003_zpsfcbb851e.jpg
[/IMG]

I think the cylinder attached to that red wire might be an RF noise suppressor - in other words, a capacitor (condenser).

Best suggestion - get a wiring manual for your car.

I think the cylinder attached to that red wire might be an RF noise suppressor - in other words, a capacitor (condenser).

Best suggestion - get a wiring manual for your car.

I think you might be right.
Going to find an electrical manual.
Friend of mine has an all original 74 so I will check his out and see if he has the same wiring set up.

I checked the wires against my friends all original 74 and a good wiring diagram.
First of all the wires are correct.
They have two fuseable links and run to the starter sleneoid and a block on the drivers side fender.
I can not cut out and replace will need to buy new engine compartment wiring.

I checked the wires against my friends all original 74 and a good wiring diagram.
They have two fuseable links and run to the starter sleneoid and a block on the drivers side fender.

Unless you are a NCRS type, you need get a buddy who knows auto electrical...you do NOT need to buy some WAY overpriced harness, get into it, and find the fault, and fix it....and learn a few tricks....THAT is 1/2 the fun of this hobby, far as I"m concerned....for near 60 years now....

:crutches::D

those large ~1/2 inch dia black plastic 'blocks' are nothing but cast plastic over the connection from the typically steel fuse link to the copper wire making up the majority of the harness....just cut the damn thing off, and insert a say 40 amp fuse in there and you be fine....

Last edited:

Unless you are a NCRS type, you need get a buddy who knows auto electrical...you do NOT need to buy some WAY overpriced harness, get into it, and find the fault, and fix it....and learn a few tricks....THAT is 1/2 the fun of this hobby, far as I"m concerned....for near 60 years now....

I agree.
Wiring can be spliced, one wire at a time if you wish. I like to solder my connections when possible. Remove old wire from all casings and harness wrap, cut it out leaving accessible splice tails at each end. Replace with same gauge & length.
You'll save yourself some $$ vs. a new harness.

I agree.
Wiring can be spliced, one wire at a time if you wish. I like to solder my connections when possible. Remove old wire from all casings and harness wrap, cut it out leaving accessible splice tails at each end. Replace with same gauge & length.
You'll save yourself some $$ vs. a new harness.

:shocking:

I agree, BTDT over countless cars and years/decades......one thing I have never understood is....how in hell is any aftermarket company, say for FI wiring, or any other mod, going to know what length to make the wiring for the various sensors, much less the rest of it??

:pprrtt:

That's a fusible link. Usually those go to the starter. Weird location indeed.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P5110 met Tapatalk