Plastic Fantastic 2

doesn't the tire grip or lack there of make it easier on the transmission? how do you figure what HP you lose because of loss of traction?

doesn't the tire grip or lack there of make it easier on the transmission? how do you figure what HP you lose because of loss of traction?

I'm going to put 200 tread wear tires on it... hook is likely to be a problem in the near future (one of the tires has a flaw in it, so tire changing is going to come sooner rather than later.)

Brown Santa arrived today
WQCYNhWh.jpg
it even came with stickers!
7ubl3Juh.jpg
and baffles
I32fkifh.jpg
of course, the accessories.... like a pickup that can do full flow
and a screw in dipstick
WMaqc7Ph.jpg

​​​​​​​now the machinist needs to finish... so 6 years from today and I'll be dialed!

as I said before I would still be crying.

I hate spending extra money - but I paid to go to law school, and I've learned far more at far less money spent by my trials, tribulations and successes with cars. Glad I did law school because it affords this learning for me, but I half expect them all to blow - and many do because I start 'cheap'

I knew the head gasket surface was wrong, I also knew I may have hurt the bottom end when the MSD distributor loosened... but learning. And I can't be a complete idiot (parts are missing), but even that.... I'm being copied on many things I do (which we all know that copying is the greatest compliment) - somehow I feel like the Pied Piper with similar results...

point is, I may not like the boom but it's still a lot of fun.

and I'm still testing things.... my assertion - that chinese make great anvils - in this case, I like the Striker head a lot, but those things are $5,000 EACH.... I put good valves, good springs in the Chinese copy and they seem to be just fine.... they still will need a port but I won't have 4k in them - even with light valves and great springs - best of all, if I put a piston into orbit, it's a $600 aluminum head.....

and to be super-clear, I will never, ever waste a part.... I think that people who break rocks in a sandbox are idiots. But if I find its fail point, I'm okay with it.

Last edited:
its a good attitude that I share also.....I often compare this hobby to Golf.....at the end of a year playing Golf what do you have to show for it?

.at the end of a year playing Golf what do you have to show for it?

grey hair, bent clubs, friends who have restraining orders against you, clubs who 'trespassed' you...

hypothetically speaking, that is.

I gave my clubs to the nicest pastor I'd ever met. Heard he runs a bar in Sin City now. Coincidence? I think not.

In other news, I reached out to OUSCA (Optima challenge) - the 2021 rules say if you have questions, ask. So I asked. Seemed prudent.

wiring is my least favorite thing to do... this is why
pcJ3Nmgh.jpg
you know, buddy (the guy I bought this from), if you're still watching this... stop doing crap like this
6ayzVD7h.jpg
hiding bare soldered connections under plastic sheathing? seriously?edited you had electrical tape....
6VWcQFZh.jpg

and big surprise, that white wire is the fan wire ... which doesn't work... probably because it burned at some point...smh

I am so stoked!!!!!!

You are good to run your car in GTV this season. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,
Mike Morrison | Chief of Tech & Road Course Segment Manager

I am so stoked!!!!!!

You are good to run your car in GTV this season. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,

Congrats. The competition in GTV is plenty stiff. When are you planning on running your first event? Have you looked at the Wilwood Corvette Challenge? It is run at the West coast tracks, is put on by Speed Ventures, and has a vintage class for Corvettes C-4 and older. I tried to enter, but Speed Ventures determined my car was more of a purpose-built race car and was therefore ineligible. I can still run with them, just not compete in the challenge.

Pappy

I am so stoked!!!!!!

Thank you,

Congrats. The competition in GTV is plenty stiff. When are you planning on running your first event? Have you looked at the Wilwood Corvette Challenge? It is run at the West coast tracks, is put on by Speed Ventures, and has a vintage class for Corvettes C-4 and older. I tried to enter, but Speed Ventures determined my car was more of a purpose-built race car and was therefore ineligible. I can still run with them, just not compete in the challenge.

Pappy

My plan is running the Vegas one at the end of March and/or the Willow Springs one at the end of May. That said, if I do well enough, I can ship my car then fly to the other tracks.... even have that dialed in if it comes to pass

I hear you about GTV, that said, it was the Outlaw class I was striving to avoid. I have some plans on getting some training - so hopefully I can do okay in the Novice class.... had they said Outlaw - I would have said no, there be monsters there..

The Wilwood one is what you pointed out once before? (after I posted up a couple videos of a pair of C3s tangling it up on the track?) I'll take any chance I can get to get some skills... if it fits, I'll go for certain. I was looking through their facebook page, their argument against your car makes me chuckle a bit - I have a friend with a C7, it's nothing like what I'm seeing there...

Last edited:
Since the news, I best get on getting this thing ready... the block and balanced assembly will be back either late this week or early next
So Skid Factory Al said wrinkles make you faster.... wrinkle paint
f2jVvybh.jpg
2LP2upsh.jpg
this will probably take days to wrinkle because it's not even close to 60*F here
5XVTw9Mh.jpg
​​​​​​​lk25g3Zh.jpg
also time to clear and paint the stuff that remains aluminum color
first coat of clear showed stains

BnSM15Lh.jpg
so a bit of aluminum paint and all is good
6XWfYkTh.jpg
and straight clear
OddJMjOh.jpg

I am so stoked!!!!!!

Thank you,

My plan is running the Vegas one at the end of March and/or the Willow Springs one at the end of May. That said, if I do well enough, I can ship my car then fly to the other tracks.... even have that dialed in if it comes to pass

I hear you about GTV, that said, it was the Outlaw class I was striving to avoid. I have some plans on getting some training - so hopefully I can do okay in the Novice class.... had they said Outlaw - I would have said no, there be monsters there..

The Wilwood one is what you pointed out once before? (after I posted up a couple videos of a pair of C3s tangling it up on the track?) I'll take any chance I can get to get some skills... if it fits, I'll go for certain. I was looking through their facebook page, their argument against your car makes me chuckle a bit - I have a friend with a C7, it's nothing like what I'm seeing there...

I talked about the Ultimate Track Car Challenge before. It is run once a year at VIR and the top ten cars will be Hendrick's Track Cars (converted Cup cars), tube chassis Challengers with NASCAR motors, some open wheel stuff, and a 900 whp Mustang that reaches 180 mph on the back straight. You can still run at Wilwood Corvette Challenge events even though you may not be part of the formal competition. I plan on showing up occasionally as an "outsider". Their events are at West coast tracks and you could probably get some track time at one of the tracks you plan on running in the Optima - Willow comes to mind. You will need some track time to get the car sorted. BTW, Speed Venture's concern about my car was the mostly tube chassis and the motor set-back.

I am so stoked!!!!!!

Thank you,

I talked about the Ultimate Track Car Challenge before. It is run once a year at VIR and the top ten cars will be Hendrick's Track Cars (converted Cup cars), tube chassis Challengers with NASCAR motors, some open wheel stuff, and a 900 whp Mustang that reaches 180 mph on the back straight. You can still run at Wilwood Corvette Challenge events even though you may not be part of the formal competition. I plan on showing up occasionally as an "outsider". Their events are at West coast tracks and you could probably get some track time at one of the tracks you plan on running in the Optima - Willow comes to mind. You will need some track time to get the car sorted. BTW, Speed Venture's concern about my car was the mostly tube chassis and the motor set-back.

I reached out to a friend who does the Mustang challenge - my hope/theory is get some track time with them. For me, Willow Springs is 16 hours away (drive time) ... so I'm hoping that it dries out enough that I can run at my local tracks (Shelton and Pacific Raceways). BC is close too but the border is closed and I'm pretty sure there is no racecar exception.

Well, got a late start.... seems a friend in Langley BC cleaned his shop, so I had to do something....edited

then I cleaned wiring
just call me Mr. Clean

eOw8mQuh.jpg
positive on the right side, negative on the left...
5y9OQzgh.jpg
XaVijxgh.jpg
and the wrinkle finish was disappointing... ah well
2mNr0DCh.jpg

I'd shoot another coat and then carefully use a heat gun. It's worked for me - but YMMV.

Cheers - Jim
BTW - so cool getting the clearance for GTV. I'm in SPU with the little car and have kept planning on SPO for the 'vette. It is sort of an Outlaw Class, but there are a few 'vettes in my region that are there too so will be fun.

Last edited:

I'd shoot another coat and then carefully use a heat gun. It's worked for me - but YMMV.

Cheers - Jim
BTW - so cool getting the clearance for GTV. I'm in SPU with the little car and have kept planning on SPO for the 'vette. It is sort of an Outlaw Class, but there are a few 'vettes in my region that are there too so will be fun.

I plan on beating this car like it owes me money - so after this summer, (hopefully) I'm to the maintenance-only stage and can try other types of racing. Up here, autocross is probably the most popular (after off-road), and also the closest to me with the tuners who play up at Monroe Speedway.

That said, zipping down to Portland isn't out of the question for a weekend. Further than that - and it becomes a bit more of an affair (which I may rectify soon with a new-to-me tow rig/class B camper).... just takes time and money...