Changing rear spring?

GT6Steve

Amigos,
my 81 C3 was apparently delivered with the gymkhana package. 770 Lb rear spring is what my doddery memory dredges up.

The car is dramatically lowered by at least an inch or maybe 2"

Long ago I purchased a VBP fiberglass spring with a number ending in 330. I can't believe it's a 330 Lb spring but maybe.

Can anyone provide experience, insight, expertise or even opinions as to what effect this change will have on the handling?

Any thoughts welcomed....

I don't think 770lb is correct. 330lb is pretty common for normal street manners, 355-360lb being the next performance step up. 420lb is quite a bit stiffer and more suited for track or very aggressive street/drag driving. Looks like stock in 1981 was somewhere around 192-196lbs. One thing that often goes along with the fiberglass spring swap is a shock upgrade, apparently the steel leafs can take a softer shock absorber while the glass springs are more bouncy. I've still got steel leafs in mine, but VBP used to really push the Bilsteins when swapping to a fiberglass spring from the steels.

Last edited:
I have front and rear dual mount VBP springs with Bilstein shocks and I like it, ride quality is still good but handles much better than before.