BEER Anyone one with a small brake in SoCal?

Corvettes White

Making a small heat shield for the car and need to make a few bends about 7" long in 26-gauge sheet metal. Anyone out there with a small brake I can stand in front of for a few min or willing to bend it for me? 4 or 5 quick bends max. I am in the Long Beach to Irvine area and can just stop by with a Six-pack of your favorite beer.

Thanks, in advance, George.

Maybe a couple 2x4's in a vice?? or maybe try between boards on a wood deck if the angles work out??

:eek:h:

Trying to do something clean, tryed the "clamp it is a vice" methoud and not too happy with the quality of the bend.

If you can't anybody with a brake, have a look at this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-917080/

$62 shipped - that's less than most shops charge

I've had similar issues with pressing bearings on/off spindles ... local shop wanted $80 and the 12T press cost me $100 at Harbor Freight.....

:yahoo: Sounds GREAT, but one problem.....:bonkers::flash: no room for it ALL.....
largest problem was getting the car parts outta the kitchen when I remarried....

she drove a tough bargain.....:p

That summit thing might be able to bend tin foil...that's about it

I would go to a local fabrication shop and ask if they can do it for a small fee.

Give Rob at CM Speed a call, they have full fab capability including a brake and he can help you out. He's on Monrovia Ave. Costa Mesa 949 642-4220.

Grampy

That summit thing might be able to bend tin foil...that's about it

Making a small heat shield for the car and need to make a few bends about 7" long in 26-gauge sheet metal.

......???.......

Isn't that tin foil ?????

According to http://www.scottstainless.com/products/gauge_conversion.html

26 gauge is .018" which is about 0.45mm..... the Summit brake will do the job just fine....

Maybe you are more fortunate on the west coats.... here in central FL, around Orlando all shops that I've visited simply suck.... it seems they just don't want any small jobs and charge more than 1 hour no matter what you want them to do.....

I remember back in 2002.....bought a $50 Flowmaster on Ebay..... took my '99 Z28 to one shop near my house and was told that "well, sir... that requires three welds and that's about $150".... :bullshit::bullshit::bullshit:

Why not just go by the local trade school with a box of donuts and ask if an apprentice can make the bends for you?

Look for a local company that installs gutters or does metal roofing. They can bend something that thin.

Yeah....the HVAC guys aren't cheap but the gutter and roofing guys would probably go for the beer payoff :lol:

George if you can't find one close to you there is a metal shop in san clemente that can do it for you. most of the time they are resonable on prices.

Bring it with you on your next weekend in Vegas, That's not more than a two beer job.

Whole trip shouldn't be more than a couple Grand....:lol:

Thanks guys, I got it bent up a few weeks ago at a hot rod shop, No Charge. It was one of the last pieces to put on the '99 to get it back on the road.

Next step, get it regestered. Has sat for 5 years, and no Non-op on it. How to get it regrestered is my next question. Then off for a dyno tune and charge the AC.

So unless I screwed up. It runs. (It well make it around the block, not sure about the open road.) Expecting 500 hp and 500 f-lb at the wheels, but who knows.

Maybe in time for the next run?

George

Wish I had seen this earlier. Prescott Hardware and Sheetmetal in Cerritos is your friend.
Artesia Blvd, near the Cerritos Auto Square.