Steel for gusseting

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
OK, I'm planning on starting some frame gusseting here in the near future. For what I'm planning, I will need 3/4 or 1" tube. I'm not the best welder but I would like something I can put together with my MIG. So what (hardness [not harness]) steel tubing should I be looking for?

Last edited:
Mild steel will be fine I assume ?? Does it have to be seamless ?? Summit sells tubing but if it can have a seam just buy it at Lowes, they have thick wall steel tube in the plumbing section, up to 1" I believe ... I have used it for my "Smartbar" behind the seats, if i connect a harniss to it, my neck breaks before the tube or the welds break so i didn't see the need for seamless ;)

I was kind of thinking like that. For what I'm doing, I don't need seamless. So what are you thinking? regular schedule 40 or 80 "black iron"? I've done a similar "smart bar" that way too. But my concern is that, like you said, my body would break before the tubing. And that's fine logic for a normally non-stressed bar. But for what I'm planning, this would be structural so it will see lateral, torque and sheer loads any time the car is moving. But if simple black iron will do, I can buy that stuff cheap and get it done.

Clutch, question man, I seen plenty of pix of the corners welded in and pieces put there in triangulation, but have NO clue as to what you would be doing with pipe for gussets......:amazed::goodevil:

if you weld it to the frame, the frame itself is only mild steel and definitely has a seam LOL....

If it's structural I'd be more concerned with the welds than with the tubing.

I would look for two publications:
The "Power Book" discussion on frame stiffing Corvettes for racing, and
The book that the body shops use for repair.

I am guessing that both of these will give the steel specifications. And in turn help with getting the best rod.

If the steel is mild, you should have little problem. If it is high strength, you will need to be more careful.

If you are looking only to stiffen the frame, you do not need to worry about getting any high strength steel, just do not use water pipe.

The newer Corvettes do use high strength steels, But I do not know when it started.

George