C3 front gymkhana stabilizer bar and bushing question

Belgian1979vette

I have an original gymkhana front stabilizer bar for my 79. It came with the bushings but when putting the bushings in the brackets, this is what it looks like :

IMG_1657_zps28e835fe.jpg

IMG_1658_zps7d326a58.jpg

Looks like the bushing is too tall and not wide enough. I forgot how the originals on my car were since this is too long ago and I'm using poly for my current stabilizer. So are these meant to be crushed or are these not correct ?

I've never seen rubber bushings that were that improperly shaped, though I usually don't futz with rubber. I'd recommend Energy Suspension poly bushings and their specified grease to lubricate them.

That's not right. The bushings should not be so tight on the bar that you can't rotate the bar by hand. Herb Adams used to include that info in their sway bar kits.

It looks like once the bolts are tight the rubber will fit just fine ???? If it's too tight and the bar won't rotate by hand just drive the car 10 miles - that should fix it..... Grease the inner diameter of the rubber though.....

It looks like once the bolts are tight the rubber will fit just fine ???? If it's too tight and the bar won't rotate by hand just drive the car 10 miles - that should fix it..... Grease the inner diameter of the rubber though.....

:drink: Yup, been a few years, mine looked like that and worked just fine with a dap of something.....vaseline?? I can't remember...still on the car though...

I put the energy suspension on the end links.....not interested in transmitting vibration to the chassis, just get stiff when she flexes.....ohhhh baby.....

:evil::censored:

Ok, will just give the bushings a try and see where I end up. Not sure if the bushings are meant to grip the bar like that though. In poly they rotate pretty freely. The grip will restrict the suspension movement some, but maybe that's what it is supposed to do.

The grip will restrict the suspension movement some, but maybe that's what it is supposed to do.

That's not at all what it is supposed to do

I took out my 79 shop manual and took a look. Not much in there with respect to this, but it does say to mount the bar and have it hanging loose at the bushings. Then tightening the end links and then tighten the bolts on the center bushings. So it seems like it needs to be in position with the car on the ground to do this, which indicates that the rubber does grip the bar. Just a thought.

The grip will restrict the suspension movement some, but maybe that's what it is supposed to do.

That's not at all what it is supposed to do

I took out my 79 shop manual and took a look. Not much in there with respect to this, but it does say to mount the bar and have it hanging loose at the bushings. Then tightening the end links and then tighten the bolts on the center bushings. So it seems like it needs to be in position with the car on the ground to do this, which indicates that the rubber does grip the bar. Just a thought.

Correct, you fine....no worry.....:beer:

You don't have much to loose.....

Grease it good....Tighten up the bolts, squeeze the rubber ... Drive the car, check after a few miles, I bet the rubber compresses to where it's not tight after a few miles and the bar rotates more freely.....

Worst case place an order for ES poly replacements.....

Looks like the bushing is too tall and not wide enough.

Your first observation is correct. It is not only too tall, it is not even the correct width. Do you actually think this is the factory setup? Go with your instincts, they won't let you down!

Got around to mounting the springs and stabilizer bar.

This is how much difference there is between the vbp 550's and the Original gymkhana's.

IMG_1832_zpsbydrfwjq.jpg

It's clear that the vbp are 460's that are cut.

Bad news is that it didn't do anything for the body lean to the drivers side