Narrower rear track width for wider tires

67vert

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am building a 65 Coupe. Race looks but street legal "ish". It has wide fenders supplied by Corvette Masters in Denver. I have some 10x15 Slotted Ansen Wheels with a 3.5" back space with Hoosier 25.5x10.0 tires. (this to be used for track) The tires stick out beyond the fenders 1 1/4". More offset on the wheels would be the easy fix but 10" Ansen wheels are no longer available to my knowledge and I like the deep dish look. So I have decided to narrow the half shafts and modify the trailing arm to move everything in 1.5" I would like to purchase a trailing arm already done but have not been able to find any. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. I tried to up load some photos but I guess I don't know what I'm doing - sorry

Welcome to the motley crew......

All I can say is that with the wider fenders/flares I ASSume similar to what I have from P/O, it was a old show car from when it was born in '72, and so converted after many years to street use, I figgered out to use was finally became '89 vette wheels on all corners, with 2.5" thick wheel adapters.... from VBP, liked vette related wheels, and rims are cheep and so the entire project ran maybe a grand or so....back 20 years ago.....I run 275/50/17 in rear and 255/50/17 in front....just about dead even with fenders....

the trick is, I had to move the ebrake cables to behind the rotors in rear, but lots of other guys prefer up top of the t-arm...... to gain 3/4 inch of inner clearance for the wider tires....8" stock vs 9.5" ....so to keep same wheel centerline, and keep handling/loading near stock....

NO comment on other wheels, as way in hell outta price range for me....

:cool::wink:

Moving the trailing arm is a problem, you will not be able to get toe in without having to revamp the whole kickup area of the frame. Or you'd have to have stepped in trailing arms, shorter camber rods and halfshafts. Easier would be just to extend the flares. Glass work is a lot easier than cutting a bunch of metal parts and aligning it all back to a workable solution.

I'm not just moving the trailing arm, I'm looking for one that is modified so the spindle moves inboard 1.5" It will then need shorter half shafts by 1.5" on both sides and the camber rod will need to be shortened as well. I am aware of all that. I like the looks of the fenders now. I also like the looks of the wheels I have now. I don't want to change either of those. I am just looking for an offset trailing arm that actually moves the spindle in. I have not been able to find anyone that makes one yet.

For that level of effort - you might just consider a new rear suspension entirely. Get rid of the trailing arms and go dual wishbones and coil-overs.
It being done here - so you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard!

Happy New Year! :mobeer: Jim

I saw a C2 with the trailing arm pivot mounted outside of the pocket on the inside flange. So it was moved over (inwards). I saw this on a car sitting in on a dealer lot so, not sure how it worked out.

I'd put some flares on it.

47699860d1341014139-looking-for-fender-flares-img_0611.jpg