Rear end rebuild taking longer than expected

Criste

Took apart the rear end in the late spring to address some noise. Discovered a couple of dry u-joints and, after exchanging a couple of notes with GTR1999, determined one of the spindles has excessive end play. What remains to be done is pretty straight forward, but it will take some time and therein lies the problem.

Starting the project I expected to be done in a few months and placed it in the middle of the garage for ease of access. This wasn't a problem during the summer, but now winter is not that far off and I need to move the vette to one side. Every part of the rear suspension has been removed, so I was thinking of building a frame with casters for the rear and getting a couple of car dollies from Summitt for the front.

Any suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

As long as you support the rear of the car on the frame using some type of dolly and use the tire dollies you should be ok. You can probably fab up a bracket so you don't push the car off the rear.

You need to talk with MYBAD79 who may chime in once he sees this thread. He made a frame for jackstands and on casters that should work for your rear. I saw how well they worked for making his Karmen Ghia mobile in his garage. He used them on all four corners. For the rear you will probably need 6 ton stands for a higher reach to your frame. HF puts them on sale for around $25. When I first saw his I thought it would be tipsy, but his is very stable.

I had a similar problem when installing my 69 IRS. After putting the pumpkin in, I just put a floor jack under it and with dollies under the front it moved where ever I wanted it. I made sure the jack cup was well secured to the pumpkin and turned the jack in the direction I wanted to go, before pushing the car. You don't want the car coming off that rear jack. Think it through carefully and you will find the best option for you.

Yeh, what Red sed, just use common sense, I have moved many a car around the garage with just a jack under ONE end....but the other end had tires on it....:D

Thanks for the input. Read MYBAD79's thread on Car dollies and jack stands and understand the additional considerations. I'll order the car dollies and put a frame together when they arrive. The garage floor is pretty smooth so it should not be too bad, but "careful" is the operative word in this exercise. Should be able to get it moved before the snow flies.

Thanks again, Jerry