battery relocation underhood

snakeater

SCUMBAG
anyone done this and where did you put it? My car is going to be heat and a/c delete so I thought of making a flange to fit in the open hole that the unit left in the firewall. Nice heavy pieces of aluminum with a battery tray mounted to it.

thanks, that's good info. I was thinking more along the lines of mounting it higher up on the firewall. Using some 1/4" aluminum to block off the a/c and just mounting the battery tray there. I also plan to run sidepipes (home fabricated) and I may need that space that is lower next to the frame. And for anyone that wants to know, I am moving it because i no longer have storage boxes behind the seat. My car has a new coilover 9" ford rear end in it, so storage boxes got deleted with extreme prejudice.

thanks, that's good info. I was thinking more along the lines of mounting it higher up on the firewall. Using some 1/4" aluminum to block off the a/c and just mounting the battery tray there. I also plan to run sidepipes (home fabricated) and I may need that space that is lower next to the frame. And for anyone that wants to know, I am moving it because i no longer have storage boxes behind the seat. My car has a new coilover 9" ford rear end in it, so storage boxes got deleted with extreme prejudice.

I`m a bit confused...didn`t you say you were building a pro tourer type car? then you want "weight" in the back and down low.....

fact is i have nowhere in the rear to mount it unless I put it under the rear bumper cover or on top of the fuel cell. I do not have storage/battery boxws behind the seat anymore. The body will be sitting too close the the rear diff. to add any storage into the factory location. I don't want it sitting on the deck area behind the seats, this will be cluttered enough as it is. Are you making a suggestion or observation? where do you suggest I mount it? Stating the obvious seems to be popular here.

fact is i have nowhere in the rear to mount it unless I put it under the rear bumper cover or on top of the fuel cell. I do not have storage/battery boxws behind the seat anymore. The body will be sitting too close the the rear diff. to add any storage into the factory location. I don't want it sitting on the deck area behind the seats, this will be cluttered enough as it is. Are you making a suggestion or observation? where do you suggest I mount it? Stating the obvious seems to be popular here.

I was making both a suggestion and an observation. Under the rear bumper cover is too far back, on top of your fuel tank is too high. I would think (if you wanted to) you could weld a bracket to the frame (more or less) where the factory put the battery behind the pass seat and mount an Optima in there possibly on it`s side......