metric threads on c3 rear spindle?

donboywalnut

ordered 1 new rear axle, 3/4nf and new nut, got to checking my good axle and 3/4nf bolt does not fit, i have a good 3/4nut but it will not start, the original nut threads right on so i put a 3/4 nf tap beside the axle threads and compare by eyeball and the thread is finer on the axle, my car is a 79,could i have an axle w/metric threads? has anyone ever ran into this when replacing rear wheel bearings? if so i'll need 2 different install tools?

If you mean the spindle, it's an uncommon funky thread

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

If you mean the spindle, it's an uncommon funky thread

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

correct, i already destroyed an axle, thinking this was some nf type of thread. I bought a thread file at summit and used that lightly to clean up the threads, for the rest didn't touch them anymore.

Many years ago, I bought two spindle nuts from a local Corvette shop. They did not engage the spindle threads properly. At the time, I was able to order them from a GM dealer and theirs were a perfect fit. I was confused why nuts marked with the same size and thread pitch would have the difference in fit, but there it was. BTW...they were not metric.

well, first, thanks everyone for ur input about the oddball? thread on my spindle. my replacement spindle has not arrived yet so i do not know xactly which thread it will be. i hope it is the same as my good one. the reason i had one bad spindle was the threads were wasted, so i sanded down the bearing lands, welded on a long fine thread bolt, so now i have a set up tool, next i'll make an install tool. the info on this forum has helped me muster enough nerve to do this job myself and plan on 1.5-2thousandths end play.

Welcome to the motley crew.....

I C just 2 posts, and so U B a new member....

pix of project are nice....

:bounce:

mrvette, thanks for the invite to post pics.lol soon i will, i am so proud of the underside of my car now that i wanna show it off. it looked horrible when i started, i am lucky enough to have a two post lift now so working on my car is fun again. my frame was solid, so i wire brushed ,sanded ,grinded ,again @again,took out my gas tank then high pressure washed it all, followed by primer and satin or semi gloss rustolem sprayed about 50/50. i am at bare frame now, maybe tomorrow i'll put something back on. dbw

redvetracr& ralphy, ur info set me straight. those spindle threads ARE 3/4 20nef. so now i can make an install tool with the xtra nut that i got today. my new spindles have not arrived yet. i am still cleaning /painting parts ,hope my spindles come in monday, i ordered 2 instead of1. thanks everyone. regards, donboywalnut