Fiat CTS Spider, turbo

SuperBuickGuy

I've made reference to this project; and I'm back working on it.... figured maybe most of you would enjoy seeing it here.
But first, an intro.

I bought this car for $300 3 years ago. My wife and I have had this on-going discussion that centers on most cars built today are so porky that if you put a modern powerplant in an old car, great MPG would ensue.... so I started looking for a small, two-seat convertible that would be the basis of the project.
PA050001.jpg

I got it running (stopping was an issue, but at least it ran)
PA0600262.jpg
just well enough to sell all of the running gear and motor out of the car. In the end, I think I actually had made a couple hundred dollars

it wasn't a bad car, but it'd sat outside for awhile and fiats are well-known for rusting - so everything looked fine but it was either crunchy or rusty

the CTS part of the title - a 2006 VVT 3.6 GM motor. The aussies have done an excellent job hooning these things up to 1000 hp, so I figured I couldn't go wrong at $200 buying it
P7170006.jpg
stock they are 275 hp (which is 3x more than stock fiat).... but stock isn't something I do

as you can see, there will be some fitting required
P7310002.jpg

I put it on my frame bench and welded the car to it and got to work
P8220001.jpg

first was get rid of the steering - it won't work (the fiat steering)
and replace it with a welder series mustang II
P8180008.jpg

interestingly, the 6 speed transmission they put behind these are also Toyota pickup - so it wasn't that expensive buying a 6 speed for it
P7190001.jpg

representative picture of the suspension work
P9060005.jpg

as you will see, getting this motor in here took some cutting
P8280004.jpg

P9210001.jpg

did I mention there were turbos involved too?
PA100004.jpg

funny story behind this motor/turbo stuff. I have a lot of behind the scenes help, and one of those helpers was the guy who was in charge of designing the 3.6 motor. At the time (even now) there's not a lot of wiring harnesses out there - so I called GM and asked about getting schematics. They sent me to the head of the 3.6 design, who gave me all sorts of good information about the capabilities of the motor... nothing on wiring, but he verified that they designed for 1200 hp; and then he asked me all sorts of questions about doing the turbos.... that was 3 years ago
if you've been following Cadillac, you'll know that the 3.6 now comes with turbos and 450 hp.... anyway, the story continues

of course, no one makes flanges or headers for turbos - so again some assembly was required (16 ga stainless)
PB020003.jpg

completed
PB230002-1.jpg

Chinese turbos - seriously, why would I spend 2000 on a 200 motor? especially something that's an experiment? but I don't like blowing up, so a good fuel cell was in order
PC130010.jpg

for the rear, I have a 7.5 ford (and granada front rotors/spindles)... it's temporary - eventually it'll have an 8.8 - but I had the axles cut (they're the same on the 7.5 and the 8.8)
P1100001.jpg

P1230005.jpg

stopping is good too.... I also have a couple different brake set ups because I thought I could do it a different way.... even this isn't perfect, but it'll work
P1240010.jpg

I was going to use a MS3x to control the motor, but now that's going on the Buick
P2170001.jpg

(keep in mind, I needed a computer that could control both boost and cams - the 3x is it)

I got to the point where I'd built the firewall and kind of got stopped
P6260002.jpg

I hate wiring, I wear a shirt that says "AD/HD" in an AC/DC schematic, and tell people it rocks - unless there's wiring involved, then it just sucks... I could wire the MS3x, but then I heard about someone who does wiring harnesses .... and (I think in a moment of his insanity) agreed to do it (for $175).... he rocks. if you need an LS harness, or any GM harness stand-alone for your motor - these guys are the guys (150tunes.com)

but that stopped me.... it took him nearly 8 months to get it done (I AM NOT COMPLAINING - I probably would have eventually put in a SBC or a 215 aluminum Buick had it not been for these guys).... during that time I built the 75 Corvette you've seen

wiring harness
P9180001_zps8a3e6783.jpg

so now I have metal work... here's basically where I'm at now
P6110002_zps16354fba.jpg

and tonight I started in on the console....
P1140001_zps9c4919f3.jpg

I need to get this beastie running - if you folks are interested in my mirroring this thread here - let me know

OMG! Coolest thing I have seen in a while! I will follow. You and guys like you make me feel like I should not be allowed to work on mechanical items; and I have done some projects!

Everyone has to start somewhere - my dad owns a company that builds kitchen equipment for restaurants, so I've been around this stuff for a long long time

Very nice. I've been kicking around the idea of a V6 or V8 spitfire since I finished the LS swap in my vette. I love your combo.

You're pretty good at making the square fit in the circle hole. Basic shapes be damned!

it's pretty easy, really - you simply cut a square in the middle of the circle.

hardest part on any of these builds is cutting enough but not too much.... on this car, I should have cut to the rear brace, and just under the windshield to the grill....

so I had some pans made so I could do the floor
P1300001_zpsd301f1b8.jpg

technically, this is Stella's car - so she's checking out the floorboards (I think she thinks I could have saved them but what do silly bloodhounds know?)
P1300002_zps694ee98f.jpg

so here's first fit
P1300003_zpsf1213329.jpg

P1300004_zps52c8a6ab.jpg

as I'm mirroring this post - let me cut a comment off at the pass - no, I'm not putting beads on the metal. There's a frame rail that runs down the center that I'll weld to the floor pan.... not to mention, people seem to think putting beads in 18 ga steel is easy... uh, no.

I would roll a couple beads in the floor board or it will flex and pop.

if I really thought it was going to be an issue, I'd use this to do all sorts of fancy stuff to it....
P9010007_zps234a38ae.jpg

just sayin'

I've been doing sheet metal work since literally birth - my dad owns a company that builds kitchen equipment for restaurants, he has a 12' 120 ton press brake, a 10' 1/8" capacity shear. I have a 30 ton press brake, and every other tool that he has in my own shop.

more work
so I put the car on the lift and started from the underside
P2030002_zps28a7560e.jpg
nope, don't like how it's sitting on there
better
P2030003_zps323ba83e.jpg

cutting more out
P2030004_zps3ad73400.jpg

and replacing
P2030005_zpsec4f717c.jpg

tomorrow, I'll tie across to the rocker panels
P2030006_zpse28b9f5f.jpg

that big green thing is a monster.......sounds like you have all the right equipment to do any thing you want with sheet metal. thats what i missed most with the vettes there just wasnt any metal to form.....your project looks great.

Off topic, but I took a family picture today
DSC_0002_zps597313d8.jpg

I've warmed up something on all of those.... and all but the Jetta and the H3 didn't run when I bought them

nice family picture....i am envious of the space, being a city dweller sucks, well more of suburban then urban but not far over the line....i guess i should have known when i married a city girl where that was going to take me.