Protecting bare steel

vette

What would be a good product to spray on bare cast iron suspension parts to keep them from rusting without painting them?

Thanks,
Danny

Boeshield T-9? I know a few yachties that wipe their stainless steel stanchions to keep them (relatively) rust-free. Instead, we use Mother's Mag wheel polish - but that is a paste not spray. The salt water marine environment is a tough one - kinda like up north with salt-roads. Might be worth a trial.

Cheers - Jim

Check also LPS3. I think it's similar to Boesheild.

Ralphy

Do you just want the metal "look."

I did my half shafts and other parts in rustoleum clear and it looked good for 8 to 10 yrs. All parts were new when painted. Yes, I realize you said no paint, but this worked way better than expected and figured I'd mention it.

In the aviation world, we use a product called Dinol AV-25 or ZIP makes a product called Corban AV-8, 25, 30, and 50. The higher the number the thicker it is. Both products are almost identical, Dinol was the first on the market but ZIP is cheaper in price. It dries almost clear, semi-hard finish and it is great for preventing corrosion. Comes in a spray can and can be ordered on line. This stuff is great for inside of frame rails also.

I've had pretty good results with WD-40. After applying it, after a few months, I remove it and re-apply it. I've heard "Zaino" is good...don't know anything about it at all. I think the motorcycle guys use it.

WD-40 will work for short term, but the ZIP Corban will last for 5 to 10 years if exposed to weather, longer if inside frame rails, door structure etc... This stuff will penetrate like you have never seen, coating the smallest areas. When sprayed on the inside of an aircraft fuselage, it will seep thru to the outside around the rivets and Hi-Lock fasteners. I don't think this stuff can be beat for corrosion protection. Just make sure you get the thin AV-8, it is pretty much transparent.

...the ZIP Corban will last for 5 to 10 years if exposed to weather, longer if inside frame rails, door structure etc... This stuff will penetrate like you have never seen, coating the smallest areas. When sprayed on the inside of an aircraft fuselage, it will seep thru to the outside around the rivets and Hi-Lock fasteners. I don't think this stuff can be beat for corrosion protection. Just make sure you get the thin AV-8, it is pretty much transparent.

Sounds like a great solution if you don't want to paint - anything. Say, roll cage, welds etc for inspection and protection. I note it is OK over paint too. From your experience - it leaves a "wax-like" film. Any problems picking up dust and grit? Or, is it firm enough to not.
Great tip!
Cheers - Jim