Body mount shims

6-71

I'm about to fit a '72 body to a '75 chassis. Can anyone tell me how the factory measured and worked out how many shims were required per mount? Is there a DIY way to work it out?:confused:Thanks

I got not measurement for you, but what I know is that body in 72 was mounted on aluminum solid bushing while later car used rubber.
Bushing size was different also.

Im looking at doing a similar swap later , I was thinking about just putting it on and put doors and hood back on and see where it all ends up and then just add shims to suit.

I have heard that you have to change the rear section of the frame to suit the 72 back end? Have you done that?

As for actual experiance with a frame swap , ive done a body off on a 77 and most of the shims were just rust powder so I had to basically start again with that ,as described above, its not hard at all just take your time .

You can probably do way better than the factory....

I had quiet a disappointing experience with low cost no name poly ....

The Energy Suspension body mounts seem to be great ....

Search the forum under body mounts and my username.... Poly junk ... Lol

Ok.... Leave all the bolts loose (hand tight) and measure the four fender gaps .... Then grab the poly or rubber mounts to see which one is tight, which one is loose..... A few years ago when I did mine I did one side at a time but it's ok to do all eight mounts at one time.....
Feel whichever body mount is loose and shim it up a bit.... You can buy fender washers at HomeDepot or Lowes.....

Then again, i did all this without pulling the body..... I have a few photos uploaded.....

I have ES poly mounts that have been installed for at least seven years now. No squeaks, no rattles, no apparent degradation.

Im looking at doing a similar swap later , I was thinking about just putting it on and put doors and hood back on and see where it all ends up and then just add shims to suit.

I have heard that you have to change the rear section of the frame to suit the 72 back end? Have you done that?

As for actual experiance with a frame swap , ive done a body off on a 77 and most of the shims were just rust powder so I had to basically start again with that ,as described above, its not hard at all just take your time .

Yes the 75 frame will need the rear modified or weld the rear of a 69/73 or at a stretch a 74
The frame is normally cut of just in front of number 4 mount
Cut it at 45 degrees If I have a photo I will post it
Bfit

Hi thanks everyone. I guess it's trial and error time again :sweat: I wasn't sure about the rear of the chassis, that will now need changing too by the sounds of it! (any photos would be appreciated:thumbs:)

Thanks again everyone.

Might help :
http://www.71corvette.com/frames.html
Not all differences are there (I've found one more when doing my swap), but the important stuff is there.

Yes, some good info, thanks:yahoo: (what was the other thing you found? )
The reservoir crossmember was not located on the same position on my donor frame than on my '76.
Problem is I'm not sure the year of the donor frame, probably a '77.
Nothing that couldn't be adapted.
I mentioned it, *somewhere* in my resto thread.