Hot Rod Air-Major Complaint

BlackBetty

Hot Rod Air Problem

I rarely ever bitch about a vendor, but I am going to make an exception. 3 months ago I ordered their c3 AC kit. 3 MONTHS!! Going on 3 and a half! They ship me some parts about a month and a half after ordering my kit, but not everything. When I ordered this kit the salesman and the website said nothing about backordered parts or out of stock mind you.

Phone calls and phone calls and emails later I get the same response: We are out of compressors/duct hoses/block off plates etc. Ok I get that, but you took MY MONEY, ship me only part of what I need and 3 months later you still havent gotten me everything?

Im sorry, but if im a vendor, I discount you 1. For the inconveniance 2. Interest on YOUR damn money 3. Because we CANT FIX the problem. 4. Because we took your money and cant deliver in a timely manner. Im sorry but 3 months is inexcusable!! Ok let me know you cant follow through in a timely manner and I go with another vendor or I save that money and use it. No matter how nice the item. Its inexcusable.

PS out of compressors? duct hose? block off plates? What if I pulled up to McDonalds and they are out of hamburgers? FOR THREE MONTHS?! You cant be friggin serious. WHAT A JOKE!

Last edited:
I agree, all that shit is about a generic item....decades ago I did a aftermarket under dash unit install....not all that hard to do,...but today it's MUCH simpler....the only thing is a block off plate....woopie doo...

the rest is parts house generic....

:fishing::eek:

They are past the point of just sending the rest of the kit to "make it right". All Im asking is to make an offer to make it right, otherwise in my eyes its crap customer service.

Well Im crossing them off my list for sure now I think Im leaning towards Vintage air at this point. Can you do a charge back on your credit card?

Well Im crossing them off my list for sure now I think Im leaning towards Vintage air at this point. Can you do a charge back on your credit card?

I have installed both Vintage air and Hot Rod air. The Vintage Air kit and customer service are far superior, IMHO.

The quality of the kit isnt the problem. I was going to go with vintage air myself but I wanted custom controls and didnt want to reuse the stock sending unit. Vintage air really didnt offer anything like that. Hot rod air was cheaper by a few hundred, offered custom controls(they also offer controls that keep it looking like the stock setup), and were very helpful<as far as selecting my kit, but now after about 3 or 4 shipments and 3 months later, I still dont have everything. Andddd i dont know if you guys know it or not, but its been FREEZING outside!

BB, this is the coldest last week so far in Florida, for ME...12 years...true it's Jax/NE Florida...but really .....hate to see my electric bill....

I did a '88 serp drive compressor in a stock '72 with just hoses, and readjusted my POA, finally, to run 134 and it's fine...

in the mix, I totally redid the entire console to make my own hvac controls, just electric switches, no slide cables, no vacuum ports, just wires....

:D

The quality of the kit isnt the problem. I was going to go with vintage air myself but I wanted custom controls and didnt want to reuse the stock sending unit. Vintage air really didnt offer anything like that. Hot rod air was cheaper by a few hundred, offered custom controls(they also offer controls that keep it looking like the stock setup), and were very helpful<as far as selecting my kit, but now after about 3 or 4 shipments and 3 months later, I still dont have everything. Andddd i dont know if you guys know it or not, but its been FREEZING outside!

The Hot Rod air kit we used on a C-2 Big-Block was poorly designed. No way would the brackets and compressor hoses they sent us work. We also had to use an end take-off compressor back plate instead of the side take-off. We tried to save the customer a couple of bucks...but in the end the kit cost him more. We had to have custom hoses made and modify brackets. Not to mention their drawings suck.

Don't. Go through Willcox, they are/where a reseller with a better price and shipping cost (at least for me). I had other choices to make so didn't buy the kit.

BB, this is the coldest last week so far in Florida, for ME...12 years...true it's Jax/NE Florida...but really .....hate to see my electric bill....

I did a '88 serp drive compressor in a stock '72 with just hoses, and readjusted my POA, finally, to run 134 and it's fine...

in the mix, I totally redid the entire console to make my own hvac controls, just electric switches, no slide cables, no vacuum ports, just wires....

:D

On the 72? Any write-up about that?

Well I guess that clinches it for Vintage air for me. I wont be ordering untill the middle of summer anyway and thats only if everything else goes smoothly with me putting the rest of the car back together. Cajos1968 are you saying don't go through Wilcox or do go through them? My main problem will be finding a vendor that will sell me a kit without the compressor since i already have a new one that came with my serp kit

On the other forum there is a good write up for Vintage air.

Go through Willcox.

Vintage air has a bad deal with transport, at least int. they charge 600usd to get the kit here!!! It is worth while to find a reseller that ships high volume they have better postage deals with the likes of UPS and Fedex. In compairison Willcox charged only 200 for shipment of the Hot Rod Air.

VA - is also sold on ebay.

Ive seen them for sale on ebay. I have a shipping addy in the US so the international shipping isnt too bad for me. Thanks for the info about
wilcox

Even the ebay guy's charge a lot for shipping. Take in account there are 3 boxes, all of reasonable size, but they have some weight. Since USPS stop sea freight prices are 300% up for us. One of the benefits of a major parts reseller is they probably have a good shipping deal, I know Willcox has. Great ting with them you can see directly what you need to pay for int. shipping, no surprise afterwards. I just ordered something with Eastwood they use USPS, thats always great.