Project update - 73 BB Coupe

Eastltd

Hi Guys,

I'm long overdue for posting you an update of my project.

I've got the car nearly ready for paint. Currently it sits in primer that has been blocked at 400 grit. I have two more sanding stages to go before the painter gets the car and that is due to happen in March.

While waiting for the painter, I've been getting interior parts ready and preparing to wire the dash, stereo, running lights etc...

Dynamat is also on the job list but I need a kick in the butt to start it.

Here are a few of the latest shots. Since I took these, I got the L88 Hood installed, as well as the windshield and the dash pad.

The car has the matching number motor, transmission & differential and will be painted the original Metallic Yellow. I didn't like the dark saddle interior, so I'm deviating from the vin code and changing to black. I think the black interior will complement the colour a little better.

If you'ld like to see a few detail shots of the build, send me a note. I took lots of pictures along the way.

Thanks for looking,

Ian

DSC04451.jpg

DSC04452.jpg

DSC04453.jpg

DSC04454.jpg

DSC04457.jpg

DSC04461.jpg

DSC04257.jpg

DSC04258.jpg

That's a sweet color, I like that.

Something else, are my eyes deceiving me or are your front tires taller than the rears?

Big block '73 - that's about as good as it gets. Looks nice!

Northern Ontario! Do you ever get a chance to drive it?

The tires are all the same size, 255/50zr17's, but the fronts do hit the fenders. Maybe one of you can offer a fix to that.

Looks great :thumbs:

If the front tires hit the fender you can either trim the fender lip or get different tires like 255-45-17.
I'd get the tires, you can then use the 255-50s that came off the front on the rear, won't take you long to burn those up :D

Looks great :thumbs:

If the front tires hit the fender you can either trim the fender lip or get different tires like 255-45-17.
I'd get the tires, you can then use the 255-50s that came off the front on the rear, won't take you long to burn those up :D

I think you are correct on the tire replacement. I thought about trimming the fender lip and even shimming the front clip under the rad support but I don't know if that would be enough.

So the question is, what is the correct tire size adjustment? I think I need to go with a narrower tire 245-50-17.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

So the question is, what is the correct tire size adjustment? I think I need to go with a narrower tire 245-50-17.

Thanks
I would go with 235/55-17. That would give you an OD of 27.17" which would match up well with the 27.04" OD in back and fill out the fenderwell.

Thanks
I would go with 235/55-17. That would give you an OD of 27.17" which would match up well with the 27.04" OD in back and fill out the fenderwell.

Thank you for your input. I have a call into the wheel/tire supplier and am awaiting his answers.

I'll let you know what size he recommends. The first set I bought were suppose to fit correctly on a C3.:skeptic:

The tire size is only a part of the whole deal: rim backspacing and width are just as important. Many run 255-50-17 without issues, some say the stock 255-60-15 rub the fender , sometimes only on one side.... some front fender lips were trimmed at the factory to make sure it won't rub with 255-60 tires ...

What's the backspacing on these rims ?

Personally I'd go with less sidewall on the front but the 245-50 or 235-55 might work just as good.

The tire size is only a part of the whole deal: rim backspacing and width are just as important. Many run 255-50-17 without issues, some say the stock 255-60-15 rub the fender , sometimes only on one side.... some front fender lips were trimmed at the factory to make sure it won't rub with 255-60 tires ...

What's the backspacing on these rims ?

Personally I'd go with less sidewall on the front but the 245-50 or 235-55 might work just as good.

The wheels are the standard 4" backspace and the tire diameter is actually 1/4" shorter the the stock 27" OD. This leads me to believe the issue is width. I would not object to reducing the sidewall dimension if it gives me the clearance with the same road contact as it will not impact the speedo.

Worst case I can trim the front fender but my inner fenders are already painted so it would be a PITA to refinish. Fortunately, I'm not in paint yet so anything is possible.

Major Project Milestone - New paint

Hi Guys,

Finally, the sanding is over and the car now wears a fresh coat of paint.

Here's a few shots I hope you'll like:

DSC04598.jpg

DSC04601.jpg

DSC04578.jpg

DSC04570.jpg

DSC04581.jpg

DSC04595.jpg