C3-Can I fit 15 wide in the rear with L88 flares?

bhays

I am going with L88 flares on my car and want to go ahead and get the wheels so I can fit the flares to the wheels. I had my heart set on 20x13's in the rear, but I really hate to choke up the funds for three piece rims, and really am having trouble finding ones I like.

Several wheels I really like come in 20x12 or 20x15.. well 12 is a little narrow...so I am wondering if I can fit the 15's.

Someone said there was a C3 on the forum running 18x15 in the rear. Can anyone steer me to who it might be?

If you're going with 20" hoops you can run at least 5" of backspace. You have to "make" the L88 flares "fit" the tire. The flares have to be "worked" to fit properly. So you can fit the flares to give you what ever tire clearence you need. To give you a more direct answer - no I don't think you will have the clearence to clear the fender flares when the suspension compresses unless the car sits high with 15" wide wheels. Most of the cars with L88 flares run 11 or 12 wide rear wheels with 5" or less of backspace. 335s on 12s with 5" backspace seems to work out just about perfect.

Have a look at V-twin's photos, hopefully he sees this thread.... I think his rear rims are 11x18 .... to me it looks like there's room for another two inches but 15" wide rims is really pushing it....

i don't know, i run 10" wide with stock fenders.

5076530008_large.jpg

i would bet L88 flares are a little better than 4" wide.

Running 12" wide with those huge flares is a waste.

Karsten, yes there's a thick spacer on Xanders wheels, so there's a good inch left there, then another inch outboard and if selected properly I think there's at least another inch inboard as well before it starts rubbing. With offset arms and maybe clearancing the frame a bit 15s should be doable. However, you'd probably have probs w the sway bar and maybe the spring end links. It could be more work than it seems.

Running 15" wide wheels but not having tires to back it up is a waste also. IMO, I'd rather have 12" wide rears w tires to match than 15s w/ tires that should be on a 12" wheel (I doubt it even fits though. The rears should have a little sidewall and bulge out a bit, the go kart look of narrow tires on wide wheels is terrible.

The rears should have a little sidewall and bulge out a bit, the go kart look of narrow tires on wide wheels is terrible.

I agree with that 100%.. that's the one thing I always disliked about Merlin.. it's 345's on 14's... that's why I wanted to go 13" with a 345 tire...

DSC08091%20copy.jpg

Running 15" wide wheels but not having tires to back it up is a waste also. IMO, I'd rather have 12" wide rears w tires to match than 15s w/ tires that should be on a 12" wheel (I doubt it even fits though. The rears should have a little sidewall and bulge out a bit, the go kart look of narrow tires on wide wheels is terrible.

You might not like the look. I can understand that, i don't either, but for maximum handling the rim should be a little wider than the section width. I think i saw that in one of the big time handling articles. As long as you can get the tire on, there is some trick using ether and a lighter to blow the tire on the wheel.

I went with 18 x 12 on the back because I couldn't find a tire with the 26.5 to to 27" diameter. Got real close with Kuhmo's but this was two years ago so maybe more offerings now. I don't see how 13" wide would fit in the flares

I'd like to find some road race tires that would fit on a cheaper steel rim for track days but haven't find any tire for for 15 or 16" dia rims.

The less side wall you have the more compliant the suspension has to be as it's a balance

You might not like the look. I can understand that, i don't either, but for maximum handling the rim should be a little wider than the section width. I think i saw that in one of the big time handling articles. As long as you can get the tire on, there is some trick using ether and a lighter to blow the tire on the wheel.

I seen something like that done already.....about laughed my ass off....."Hey, Billy Bob, hold my beer, Watch THIS!!!'....

:twitch::eek::crap::smash::surrender:

Last edited: