C-5 brake issue

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I spent most of Sat helping Easyasone2three change his 01 C-5 brakes and shocks.
John had a bad shudder when stopping, so we installed new NAPA rotors, Ceramic pads, and SS braided brake lines.
The brakes are now top notch. They really stop on a dime.
The Bilsteins were also an improvement in the ride.
The issue? Unfortunately, we did the right front late at night. We did find the following issue:
34a88bc497529f.jpg
Notice the wear angle.
1) Bent caliper bracket?
2) Bent spindle?
We ran out of time, and we need some places to measure from in the near future.. Ideas?

That's just taper wear. You see it in racing a lot or just with hard use. He's done some spirited driving. I didn't think he had it in him.

If you've ever noticed, the wilwood superlites have staggered sized pistons to prevent taper wear.

now that i'm looking at it some more. Both leading edges should be worn more. So maybe your right that the bracket is not straight.

Maybe Marck can provide a second opinion.

Last edited:
Interesting issue, I've not seen this before..... if it's on one side only I don't think it's spirited driving alone causing this. ...I suspect the mounting bracket...

The C5 has four piston calipers ? I have not taken my C6 brakes off which I assume to be the same as C5.... I might want to have a look :eek:h:

Measure from caliper to rotor on both sides - install the caliper without the pads and measure from next to the piston to the rotor, that should show if the caliper is not mounted straight...

It also looks like one pad is worn a lot more than the other...

Did you check if possibly a guide pin is hanging up, not allowing the caliper to slide straight.

I dunno jack about C5 brakes....floating caliper?? single piston?? double opposed or on one side??

special grease or not, any floating caliper I have seen has more hangups than a art gallery....pads most always wear crooked....dunno why, just is....but they are single piston....

for all the shit I seen on my shark brakes over the years, pad wear has always been good and uniform....about the ONLY damn fault they never showed so far....

:bonkers::hissyfit:

I dunno jack about C5 brakes....floating caliper?? single piston?? double opposed or on one side??

special grease or not, any floating caliper I have seen has more hangups than a art gallery....pads most always wear crooked....dunno why, just is....but they are single piston....

for all the shit I seen on my shark brakes over the years, pad wear has always been good and uniform....about the ONLY damn fault they never showed so far....

I always had crappy taper issues with my old C3 brakes (after a couple sessions of track miles). They would wear a lot at the piston points, and very little in the middle of the pad (resulting in a crown in the center of the pads). As such, every time I hit the brakes, the pedal and m/c would have to move a ton of fluid for all the pistons to move out and flex the backing plates in an arc to cause the pad to be straight on the rotor. I'd have to pull the pads out regularly and file them level again. I'm assuming this was the reason for the introduction of the HD backing plates with the right angle bend in them.

The C5 calipers can get heat soaked and actually expand making the overall inside ID wider. Normally this is on track time cars though and thats why most switch to an aftermarket brand caliper. Not sure about all aftermarket C5 calipers but like Turtlevette said, Wilwoods have the staggered piston design to prevent tapered wear.

I always had crappy taper issues with my old C3 brakes (after a couple sessions of track miles). They would wear a lot at the piston points, and very little in the middle of the pad (resulting in a crown in the center of the pads). As such, every time I hit the brakes, the pedal and m/c would have to move a ton of fluid for all the pistons to move out and flex the backing plates in an arc to cause the pad to be straight on the rotor. I'd have to pull the pads out regularly and file them level again. I'm assuming this was the reason for the introduction of the HD backing plates with the right angle bend in them.

I drive quickly, but hardly racing.....:chinese:

Interesting issue, I've not seen this before..... if it's on one side only I don't think it's spirited driving alone causing this. ...I suspect the mounting bracket...

The C5 has four piston calipers ? I have not taken my C6 brakes off which I assume to be the same as C5.... I might want to have a look :eek:h:

Measure from caliper to rotor on both sides - install the caliper without the pads and measure from next to the piston to the rotor, that should show if the caliper is not mounted straight...

It also looks like one pad is worn a lot more than the other...

The C-5 calipers are two piston front, one piston rear, and they float on pins. They also don't weigh squat.

Fronts, two pistons one side, rear, one piston one side. All float on pins.