Convertible top, weather strip and window!

Lazerith

Been trying to motivate myself enough to put my top together. It's hard to go out in this crappy weather were having round here.

So here is where I am in this phase of my life long project: I have the convertible frame clean and painted with new front bow installed. It's on the car and I've been messing with pre-fitting the frame with weather stripping attach to the side glass. I've got the drivers side to fit pretty well but the passenger window is proving a bit more challenging.

I guess my question is how adjustable are the side windows? This is an area I know nothing about. How do I adjust the glass to fit. I'm pretty much out of movement to the top frame. If I lower it overall the window catches on the outer lip of the side weather stripping and if I raise the frame there is a gap between the window and seal.

Weather stripping doesn't seem to fit to itself very well. the diagonal cuts between sections don't line up very well especially at the top of the windshield pillers to top area.

Hate to have to tell you, but if you think just the weatherstripping and the glass is a mess, wait till you get a TOP on there,

owning rag top cars for some decades now, I have to say there are damn few tops that actually fit the cars well, it's SO bad that if I had a source of canvas and a way to fit the plastic windows, I would sew my OWN, there is NO source of tops that is very consistent with fitment.....

I just did the top on my '72 shark, and it's a damn MESS, along with the body work/paint,....but the weatherstrip will not agree with too much canvas overhang on top and that top/bacl glass corner...these things are just crap, and no amount of adjusting will make that top fit....

Sure my top is a internet/ebay cheeepie, but so what?? the material and assy technique is the same as a 600 dollar top, and the chances by MY EXPERIENCES, of it fitting well, are about 50-50 on a GOOD day.....

:gurney: and NO, it's not the installer's fault, it's the factory who made the top...

what I need is a way to cut the canvas IN PLACE and re edge or stitch it with new piece...no way it's coming off there to do that....

:banghead:

Hate to have to tell you, but if you think just the weatherstripping and the glass is a mess, wait till you get a TOP on there,

owning rag top cars for some decades now, I have to say there are damn few tops that actually fit the cars well, it's SO bad that if I had a source of canvas and a way to fit the plastic windows, I would sew my OWN, there is NO source of tops that is very consistent with fitment.....

I just did the top on my '72 shark, and it's a damn MESS, along with the body work/paint,....but the weatherstrip will not agree with too much canvas overhang on top and that top/bacl glass corner...these things are just crap, and no amount of adjusting will make that top fit....

Sure my top is a internet/ebay cheeepie, but so what?? the material and assy technique is the same as a 600 dollar top, and the chances by MY EXPERIENCES, of it fitting well, are about 50-50 on a GOOD day.....

:gurney: and NO, it's not the installer's fault, it's the factory who made the top...

what I need is a way to cut the canvas IN PLACE and re edge or stitch it with new piece...no way it's coming off there to do that....

Ok so that's pretty much what I was seeing but I still didn't want to believe my eye! My top and weather stripping was purchased years ago like 10 years maybe? I was pissed when I looked at the package the weather stripping came in and saw it was made in Korea! :hissyfit: It seems for the price they charge for the krap it could be made in this country??

Ok so that's pretty much what I was seeing but I still didn't want to believe my eye! My top and weather stripping was purchased years ago like 10 years maybe? I was pissed when I looked at the package the weather stripping came in and saw it was made in Korea! :hissyfit: It seems for the price they charge for the krap it could be made in this country??

All I can offer is sympathy and empathy.....woopie doo, that don't lessen the PIA factor, only a stiff shot can do THAT.....

:bump::bounce: