Heim Joint Help Needed

phantomjock

HEIM JOINTS -- HELP NEEDED

I have been working on the rear suspension. I'll post the pics of my (hopefully) cost effective apppoach to a Giovanni Multi-Link and the results in a separate thread. (cross reference: http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=88569#post88569 )

My problem has been one of tollerances and getting things "tight enough." For example - 1/2 shoulder bolts I wanted to use - are 0.04995 +0.0001/-.002 So guess what! Thes bolts have all tended to be on the small side. And that induces a in/out motion on the suspension components. Slop between the bolts and the sleaves of the heim joint.

Now, I admit those are really small numbers - but I can push/pull the wheels in and out enough to hear a click - and feel the movement. I found the movement first as slop between the bolts and the rod ends (internal). I have since shimmed that and that is stopped.

Now the movement is MUCH smaller - BUT it is still there and it is now the ROD ENDS! Movement INSIDE the Spherical joint. Click, click, and feel it - maybe a very few 10 thous - but there!:hissyfit:

This has bugged me for a couple of weeks and have tried to solve it - so now I ask.

Is that the "norm"or did I get a bad batch of rod ends? Willing to buy some more - anybody have a good source for - something with a little reasonable precision? Are there some precision ground heim joint that don't cost an arm and a leg?

What have others of you used in your 4/5/6 link set ups? HELP PLEASE!

I'm using 5/8 rod ends on 1/2 inch bolts (sleeved and shimed). The movement is along the axis of the rod - small but there and will no doubt cause wear.
The pic may help explain what my problem is.

12694eac8ed0244a7.jpg

Any and all advice greatfully accepted! I know some of you have already trod this path - so please share your lessons!

Thanks Guys!

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Use M16 bolts with 5/8 rod ends, you'll have to dress the bolt to even get it through. It will be tight. For 1/2 bolts on 5/8 rod ends, drive some reducer sleeves in the rod eye, you can buy them undersized.
If you have slop in the rod ends you have junk ends. Some qualitky FKs or Auroras will not have slop when new

Some heim joints are really loose. I have bought a ton of them for work projects and the cheapies loosen up as soon as you use them.

I always use Radial Bearing brand heims.

TT & BBShark - Thanks for the replys.
Looks like I need to get some better Rod Ends and your tips are helpful.
I have the 5/8 to 1/2 inserts and that works well - with a bit of shimming to get the NOT quite 1/2 shoulder bolt to fit better.

I'll be contacting RBC (Radial Brand), Baker Engineering - they have FK and Aurora, as well as Competetion Engineering and QA1 (Jegs has those) tomorrow. I've also located some higher tollerance pins that I could use in lieu of bolts - looking at sheer loads mostly. Will wait for the new rod ends first,

Thanks again!

Cheers - Jim

The QA1 heims are Chinese and have a bad reputation of late. Are the Competition Enginnering heims, the same as the ones that Speedway sells? I can't get them to respond to where they are made (I guess that means China).

Thanks for that! 2 less phone calls to make tomorrow;

Any thoughts on using "pins?" My shoulder bolts are small-ish and the shim works - but rather get better tollerance. Looking at mil spec alloy dowell pins they're +0.0002 over nominal (1/2") and +/- 0.0001. A bit of fine dressing and ought to be just right. Drill and set cotter pins to keep in place.

Cheers and thanks for the "skull's" up.
Jim

If the bolts are loose in the hemi hole, just use a punch on the bolt shoulder. Place punch marks all over it, kinds like having it knurled and it will gain diameter and fit tight. If I misinterpreted your problem, I apologize.

Red you've got the problem right.
I considered knurling for the effect - but was concerned it might wear.

I've sources some better bolts and will know in a few days when the big brown truck arrives!

Thanks all - more will follow! Cheers - Jim

To eliminate slop in the rod ends, use rod ends that are teflon lined; they cost a bit more, but are worth it in my opinion.

Bolt slop in the holes?... The bolts need to be torqued to squeeze the inner ball in the rod end to prevent movement on the bolt. This ensures that all movement will be in the bearing of the rod end itself.