Finally got another Corvette....

68L71

After selling my 68 four years ago I have been without a corvette. Yesterday my dad handed me the keys to his 58 corvette. I have been waiting my whole life for the day and I am very happy, but also just as sad that it's his time to give it up. He bought it when he was 20 years old in 1968. It was his only car for years. It has seen a MN winter or two, a few years in Michigan and California. This is one car I will never sell.

IMG_1543.jpg
IMG_1545.jpg

Last edited:
Josh, I am so jealous, and happy for you. Now I know what the new garage was waiting for.:)

Josh, that looke just like my '60 vette, except mine was RED, and you are missing the chrome trunk strips off the rear deck there.....I assume you have them, just not installed.....

What's your addy? I come by and sneak a ride, over to MY house...

:eek: it's a beauty man...de ja vu all over again....

Josh, that looke just like my '60 vette, except mine was RED, and you are missing the chrome trunk strips off the rear deck there.....I assume you have them, just not installed.....

The trunk strips were gone when he bought it in 68. The holes are there and would be easy to open back up from the underside. I think it was pretty common to remove them to make it look like the later models. I don't know if I will try to find a set or not....they are $$$$. It does have the original wonderbar, but it does not work.

The trunk strips were gone when he bought it in 68. The holes are there and would be easy to open back up from the underside. I think it was pretty common to remove them to make it look like the later models. I don't know if I will try to find a set or not....they are $$$$. It does have the original wonderbar, but it does not work.

Been a few decades, but I BET I can still fix it, given the parts source...I bet they can be found....any clue what's matter??
Back in them daze a local school teacher friend had a '59, and he cut up some antique furniture for the walnut, and so created his own console, 8 track tape deck that preceded the Lear stuff, and had his own stereo in there, that interior was really tricked out, he was a GOOD woodworker/cabinet man...he had a local franchise for PIONEER stereo gear, back before it got really caught on....FM was the hot lick at the time, FM stereo in a car was unheard of....
His version of the 8 track was nearly the same, CASSETTE wise, looked like what most of us remember, but it was in fact a Spot Pak, from doing commercials on endless loops, for commercials, and the cartridges/decks were all stacked on the rack on the DJ's desk, so he would just Que them up and go one to the other in sequence....

so one of them transports was his version of tape on the road, Cassettes were barely heard of them daze Mid 60's....

:censored:

Just beautiful! It may have been your dad's time to give it up, but I'll bet he was proud to give it to his son!

Thanks everyone! Here is a picture from when it was new to my father in 68. At 10 years old it was already painted this blue over the original Panama Yellow. They body is "no hit."

IMG_0007.jpg

It does have the original wonderbar, but it does not work.

Been a few decades, but I BET I can still fix it, given the parts source...I bet they can be found....any clue what's matter??
:censored:

I am not sure, but I bet it could be figured out with your help. :beer:

Usually it's all the caps, and the vibrator doh dah. Tubes of course.

Antique Radio supply still around?? my oldes friend since '60 in HS yet, lives in FW Tx. and has a totally SICK radio hobby, I bet he has most of the parts or could have them all within one phone call.....in fact, I bet he has them all in his hip pocket....Jeff, you seen Ken's place, you would just crack up laughing and pinning a gold star on Lilly for sticking in there for over 40 years....YES, it is that crazy.....:clap::clap:

in fact, in my sig file, probe around the sites and you will find a whole series of pictures of his 'collection' from maybe 4 years ago....:beer:

I'm too young to really appreciate C1s, but I got to admit it's a nice one.
Looks in great shape.
Any fix/mod planned?

Looks in great shape.
Any fix/mod planned?

Well I'm only 30....I have found that over time I have grown to be more interested in older cars. C1's have become my favorite since I sold my 68. I really like 32-38 ford coupes/roasters done up in late 40's early 50's style hot rods. Not that I do not like newer cars. I really like my 96 Z28 summer time daily driver, also my fathers old car, even has room for my two kids.

I will probably freshen up the motor eventually, probably a 327 crank for the 283. I also plan to put a 4 speed in it from a later c1, as it currently has a 3 speed. A new soft top, wire harnesses and fix some of the trim around the coves. He redid the suspension 10 years ago and he had the brakes and exhaust done last year. It drives really nice.

The tires are from the mid 90's and should be replaced. I want some cool early 60's style bias ply's.

The paint is from the mid 70's. It is a C3 color. It is a little worn and has some scratches, several by me when I was a kid. It sill looks nice. I like the blue it was before. When I paint it, I will consider that color with white coves.

Looks in great shape.
Any fix/mod planned?

Mid 60's movie in the theaters.....'Hotrods to HELL' or something similar....

featured some kids in a rollbar equipped '60 looking vette screaming down the roads....was about all there was to the story line....

about stupid a movie as ever created, but fun at the time....

been a while.....:eek:

Looks in great shape.
Any fix/mod planned?

Well I'm only 30....I have found that over time I have grown to be more interested in older cars. C1's have become my favorite since I sold my 68. I really like 32-38 ford coupes/roasters done up in late 40's early 50's style hot rods. Not that I do not like newer cars. I really like my 96 Z28 summer time daily driver, also my fathers old car, even has room for my two kids.

I will probably freshen up the motor eventually, probably a 327 crank for the 283. I also plan to put a 4 speed in it from a later c1, as it currently has a 3 speed. A new soft top, wire harnesses and fix some of the trim around the coves. He redid the suspension 10 years ago and he had the brakes and exhaust done last year. It drives really nice.

The tires are from the mid 90's and should be replaced. I want some cool early 60's style bias ply's.

The paint is from the mid 70's. It is a C3 color. It is a little worn and has some scratches, several by me when I was a kid. It sill looks nice. I like the blue it was before. When I paint it, I will consider that color with white coves.

THAT is a rough one, obviously your car, and decisions....

and the choices are many....gimme your addy, I WANT that car.....

:eek::eek::smash::thumbs:

sorta kinda like a trip back in time.....

come think of it, I wish I had some pix of my car, but none exist....from any but the 'goat' I made 23 years ago....

THAT is a rough one, obviously your car, and decisions....

and the choices are many....gimme your addy, I WANT that car.....

:eek::eek::smash::thumbs:

:lol: too old school for you?