Relocating E-Brake handle

GoVetteGo

Has anyone here relocated the E-Brake to a different area of the interior? I am going to do a custom center console and would really like the E-Brake out of the center.

Might be a dead end idea - where else can it go in this tiny compartment?

Thanks

John

They don't hold anything for shit anyway, I"d just remove the handle, unless you have safety nazi's running your state.....I modified hell out of my HVAC and ashtray area of the console, but kept the stock shifter bezel.....

:beer:

They don't hold anything for shit anyway, I"d just remove the handle, unless you have safety nazi's running your state.....I modified hell out of my HVAC and ashtray area of the console, but kept the stock shifter bezel.....

That's for sure!!!! And I know just removing it is one option - just curious if anyone has some clever idea.

When I got the car in 99 one of the first things I noticed was the E-brake pieces missing. I rounded up all the missing pieces and rebuilt the apparatus only to find out why it was all gone. I stripped that crap back out and now I too would love to remove that useless handle.:pprrtt:

I have, I used a late model Mustang e-brake to clear my t-56. And I made a custom fiberglass console. Do a search

Different Approach Taken

Finally after too many months, I am getting back to working on Darth.

Last week while driving my wife's 09 Malibu, I started thinking about how her parking brake worked. Simply push down to lock, push down further to release! Hmmmm, sounds like a great idea.

I purchased the parking brake assembly last night and hope to install the assembly on the left of the drivers side footwell.

I will post pictures as I progress. This satisfies the state inspection parking brake requirement and gets it the heck out of the middle of the console!!!

WOOHOO

Last edited:
On my '87 and my '72 vettes, I had to super tighten up on the adjustments, and put the brakes ON, drive them to the inspection stations, and pass the parking brake BS.....then drive home slowly, only about a mile, relax the cables

Thankfully Florida don't have nazis running around.....

:club:

On my '87 and my '72 vettes, I had to super tighten up on the adjustments, and put the brakes ON, drive them to the inspection stations, and pass the parking brake BS.....then drive home slowly, only about a mile, relax the cables

Had a friend here that installed something that in affect shortened the e brake cable. He put this device on, got through inspection then removed it.

Now, it would be really nice to have a parking brake that WORKED!!!! Don't think it is possible with what we have to work with.:drink::banghead::banghead:

Had a friend here that installed something that in affect shortened the e brake cable. He put this device on, got through inspection then removed it.

Now, it would be really nice to have a parking brake that WORKED!!!! Don't think it is possible with what we have to work with.:drink::banghead::banghead:

HEHEHE......My auto trans has a PARK function, but NO INTERLOCK, no buttons to push, just a lever, move that lever and the car rolls.....just act with responsibility and don't move that lever.....duhhhhhh......

as for modding the ebrakes to actually work, need replace the rear calipers, and that gets into a can of worms like krazy mad....brackets, effectiveness on a 11" rotor, pistons, F/R performance issues....I not going there....

:gurney: pushing age 70 here, too many aches and pains....:ill:

as for modding the ebrakes to actually work, need replace the rear calipers, and that gets into a can of worms like krazy mad....brackets, effectiveness on a 11" rotor, pistons, F/R performance issues....I not going there....

:gurney: pushing age 70 here, too many aches and pains....:ill:

I hear you Gene! But, while the car is apart and on jack stands in the garage - why not search for a solution? Bottom line here is - it is all for fun.

I am right behind you approaching 67!!! So I know what you are talking 'bout!!!

Go vette GO..... U need move south to FLORIDA for that shit, this time of year.....the daze of burning our natural gas to keep warm are over with....

the weenies said so.....

:lol:

Go vette GO..... U need move south to FLORIDA for that shit, this time of year.....the daze of burning our natural gas to keep warm are over with....

the weenies said so.....

Gene - you crack me up!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Back in 87 I installed a boiler in my garage. Now my heat and hot water are heated "on demand"! Even at freezing temps outside - my garage stays a comfy 60 degrees!!!

Anyway - I have way tooooo much schmidt to move anywhere. :lol: :mobeer:

the weenies said so.....

Gene - you crack me up!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Back in 87 I installed a boiler in my garage. Now my heat and hot water are heated "on demand"! Even at freezing temps outside - my garage stays a comfy 60 degrees!!!

Anyway - I have way tooooo much schmidt to move anywhere. :lol: :mobeer:

Yeh, I got attacked by my skeleton/arthritis, still have it BAD, but at least I ducked out on about a decade+ of suffering by my moving south at age 53....I feel now, about the same as I did on my last summer up in Maryland....the killer was that 4' of snow in my driveway, gave the house away...hell with it, not worth the agony....

:tth::(

Don't know if this would pass your Inspection Requirements:
126952a5971b89bea.jpg
Should fit wherever you like. Image is a little "larger than life."

Cheers - Jim

126952a5971b89bea.jpg

Cheers - Jim

NOT in Maryland,.....but I did have one very similar on the front discs of the Goat tow car, for on the launching ramps that got slick sometimes, when loading/unloading the boat....putting it in park is fine, unless the rear starts sliding in the slime.....so to lock the front wheels, it would hold for 30 minits, they said, I guess the most I ever used it for was 1/2 that time, and that was a bad day.....:cool:

126952a5971b89bea.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Interesting Jim! I will check with my inspection station. That would be a ton easier to install. I can see installing it on the front brakes - should be easy with the dual bowl master cylinder.

Thanks!

Hope you can. It would be an easy instal. I'm doing a Line Lock (like Gene described) on the fronts - triggered by a solenoid. Great for Drag racing, but I'll use it on AutoX launch.

This jobie-do (high tech term) is strictly hydraulic action. You press the brake pedal down - lock the "jobbie-do" then you leave the car. To release a tap on the brake - or the knob and it will release. Now this is all theory. It is in my shelf of parts to install. As long as teh system maintains hydrayulic pressure - it is like you foot is on the rear brakes.

Cheers - Jim