1972 GMC 4x4 Pickup Project Gettin Started..

84rzv500r

Knows just enough to be dangerous!
Just started on this as I lost my Doge Ram Megacab Dually in the divorce...

1972 GMC c-5500 25,000 GVW Napco 4x4 11R22.5 rubber (44") built a custom 11 ft pickup box just for fun... getting ready to put in a Detroit 8V-71 and RTOO-9513 transmission and a Spicer 8031 three speed aux trans.... picked up a 69 C60 dump truck to use the front fenders for the dually fenders,,, :twitch::twitch::twitch:
https://picasaweb.google.com/113725834400702154269/October152012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJDy5PnOro33LA&feat=directlink

I'm building this on the cheap to have a pickup and a toy... Not much of a drag racer im afraid with 7.20:1 gears in the pumpkins :eek:

hence the reason for the RTOO double overdrive road ranger AND the Spicer Aux Overdrive... but under drive in the transfer case is 2:1 and 1.46:1 under in the Aux gives me some LOW creeper gears ;)

I'm also thinking 30,000 Lb hydraulic winch on the front bumper :bonkers:

Besides Detroit two strokes sound COOL....

updated with progress Pics

Updated with a bunch of progress... just a few little things to fix up on the chassis now and its ready to clean and prime and get a coat of paint on it so that the 8v71 and roadranger can be fitted... this is the fun part... stuffing 3300 lbs of engine and transmission into the hole where that 350 chevy and baby 5 speed was...

two stroke diesels sound so COOL.... 568 cid 318 hp 850 ftlb this is a 4 valve motor with N65 injectors and no turbo, and Bonus it has a single stage Jake brake

26 forward gears.. before I add in the divorced Aux trans

Also added pics of the '72 chevy C50 I picked up for the cab... 47000 miles and everything works... passes inspection!! ive been using it to transport the extended box and fenders the '70 BBC 427 tall deck C70 dump truck I picked up for the grille and front fenders to make the rear dually extensions out of.. notice they are 8" wide and the same shape as the fronts... the body lines match the box TOO...

https://picasaweb.google.com/113725834400702154269/October152012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJDy5PnOro33LA&feat=directlink

so where's the picture of the new motor?

I love projects that require a cat to perform the necessary removals :)

Updated - Donor truck pics

cleaned and power washed the frame yesterday and took some pics of the donor truck...

a 1973 Ford L9000 with 218,000 miles... see the 8-71 blower on top... these are normally aspirated with blower... boosted they would have a big turbo on top that dumps into the blower inlet....
Kinda looks like a BBC.. :devil:

made some progress... turns out that class 7 and class 8 truck chassis have very similar dimensions and a 3300 Lb Detroit will fit where a small block chevy once lived :bounce:

I got the rear motor mounts under control and the front motor mount is mocked up...

Its a bit of a chore test fitting and tweaking the motor mounts when it takes two guys and 18,000 lb track loader just to move the motor... :smash::smash:

the good news is that the front springs in the 4x4 chassis are up tp the task... any one want to guess what the GM RPO code is for 9000 Lb front leaf springs?

Will get some new pics posted soon... :mobeer:

Pics updated...

Here are the updated pics...

No one will ever see the nice cast aluminum FORD rear motor mounts LOL...

the power train pivots on the rear motor mounts and you just shim the front to adjust the drive line angle. Transfer case needs to drop a bit and move back a few inches no biggy... you positively need carbide reamers and a magnetic base drill to do this kind of work... holes everywhere...

shroud have the engine installed in the chassis next weekend and chassis primed and painted...

:beer:

epic project - to the point that I keep having to remind myself that I have enough project to last me for 20 years; so I don't go out and start looking for a truck like that myself :thumbs:

Weekend update... More pics

I made some progress... Ditched the Rockwell T233 transfer case in favor of a Rockwell T136-27 Air shift out of a M35A 2.5 ton truck. It has a better chance of holding up to the Detroit twister... anyway I swapped the old tcase for a 20,000 lb worm gear winch and bumper...

The detroit fits in there nice... Clears the front axle... chassis is primed and painted...
I have to get the new Tcase installed and set the drive line angels then weld up the front motor mount as it is just tacked in place right now

One little nip with the plasma cutter to clear the drivers side exhaust and frame.... bout 5/8"
everything else is clear... and the pipes will rout out fine... mufflers will be tucked up under/behind the running boards and exit behind the cab...

Last edited:
So a little knowledge is dangerous... Transfer case Plan changed!!

Was gonna use a T136-27 out of a 2.5 ton truck and an AUX trans... this is a bit problematic as the drive line would be too long to fit in the truck and have more drive shafts that a truck stop at 3:00am... SOOOOOO

I found a Rockwell T-1138 !!! out of a 5 ton truck is overdrive in Hi range... this plus the RTO Roadranger and 44" tires will make the truck interstate ready until I get the balls to do the backyard RTOO conversion

All in all a much simpler setup. I dont evern care about shifting in to low range with 7.20:1 axles and Low Low in the roadranger I'm set :twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::beer:

T-1138:
High: 0.732:1
Low: 1.72:1

T-1138 tcase will be here on Tuesday... cost me a buck or two but you only live once...

here is the bill so far

72 GMC C-5500 4x4 cab and chassis 18,1000 miles $800
73 ford L9000 for engine and trans and misc bits (loaded with all the SW gauges you can think of too) 218,000 miles $0
72 chevy C-50 for cab and other parts 47,000 miles $1350
69 GMC C-60 Dump for dually fenders grille radiator and headlight buckets and the SW gauge dash panel $500
both 8' Pickup boxes $500
8 - 11.00 R22.5 Tires and new tubeless rims $3200
T-1138 Transfer case $1000

Will part out the extras and prolly recoup most of the outflow when I'm done and I also end up with a a running 350 4 bold main high nickle content Small block chevy AND a running 4 bolt main Tall deck 427 chevy

anyone need a set of 38,000 lb eaton tandem axles with new cans and maxies? 4.33:1 gears :beer::beer:

:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

If you sliding through Jax/ SW corner off I295 by Orange Park, stop by for a beer sometime, gotta SEE that rig.....not that I know a whole lot about it.....

:devil::crutches:

LOL Im thu there all the time... im actually enroute DC to Sanford on the train right now...

I do plan on running the beast back n forth to FLA at least once...

Tackling bad rear wheel seal and replacing bearings and races whilst waiting for the transfer case transmission intermediate shaft to get finished. once that shaft is done I can build the new Transfer case mounts and get the front and rear drive shafts built.

the case weight is 705 Lbs and it will have 850+ ftlbs running through it. gonna be some WELDING... can you say half inch plate... LOL

the DANA-Spicer J3311-1-HVTSS manual is great reading for anyone building drive lines.

turns out the beast has double leading shoe brakes all around 15x6 in the rear and 15x3 in the front.

H170 GM axle (17000 lb) with a locker... (T170 would be a two speed)

Started on the Puke tank/PCV system i am building 'cause a Detroit that don't leak or puke oil is out of oil...

also started on the Air tanks and lines. (only to run the transmission, transfer case and Ebrake) ordered and new 2 line master cylinder to replace the old single line system and a new Medium duty Hydra boost unit to replace the Vacuum over system.

And i have started routing the exhaust pipes...

and changing the gear lube takes almost 10 Gallons of 80W-90 LOL

Will upload new pics shortly...