How to Measure Wheel Width

68/70Vette

I'm trying to size tires/wheels for my 70 project car. I'd like to have some big tires on the back, but the front can be the size of my 68 wheels/tires. OK, how wide are my 68 front wheels? I've lost the order paper work. I went to the local model airplane store and bought 1/8" by 3/4" balsa wood strips and some super glue. I cut the balsa wood strips somewhat wider than the thread width of my tires, and then glued on some segments clamping the sidewalls. Then I glued on segments touching the rim widths. I used fast setting super glue. I determined that my wheels were of 8 inch diameter. Next, I'll remove one of the wheels and measure the backspace.

It seems like a lot of posters on CF have reported using 18 inch wheels with 8 inch rim width and 4 inch back spacing. But two posters, said they had front wheel interference problems with these dimensions...including our oft time poster Bangkok Dean.

Trying to drive this inquiry into the ground. When you order non-standard wheels, you have to eat them if they don't fit. I'm trying to avoid mistakes ordering my 70 wheels.

BTW. For restoration activities, look to your local "professional" model airplane store. This will be a store that is supplying parts for people spending thousands on model airplanes; i.e. 50 pound thrust turbo jets!!! They have a great variety of super glues, among other neat stuff. They sell glues with delayed hardening times that you get to choose. They also sell glues that will not harden until you douse them with a catalyst. They also sell glues that are not sold to the general public.