66 Highly Customized Mako Shrk

xtrmes

I just picked up this project about a week ago. This car was built back in the 80's for the ISCA shows at a cost of $180,000. It's a one of a kind show car with a complete custom billet suspension. Lots of body mods.
The body wraps right around the frame and is smooth and is paint with graphics on the bottom to match the top.
After the car was retired it was sold and somebody pulled the motor and trans.
The car was never street legal because it was just a show car.
Its to bad the car ended up sitting all these years. The last owner left it outside the entire time he owned it.
All the suspension parts are chrome plated so as you can imagine its in need of allot of cleaning and some stuff will need to be replated.
The body has some cracks and scratches.
It looks like somebody tried to make it street legal by installing a Painless wiring kit but really made a mess out of it. I removed all the wiring and will be rewiring the whole car.
I also don't like the interior so I will be replacing that as well.
Then on to the body work.
I want to give it some modern updates.
I have a full roller BBC with an 8:71 Supercharger making 1023HP I will be putting in the car. It has a long way to go but hopefully I can get it on the road this summer.

Attachments

• 1879.jpg
    1879.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1871.jpg
    1871.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 1874.jpg
    1874.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 85
  • 1875.jpg
    1875.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 1886.jpg
    1886.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 89
I've held off posting this. I mentioned to him to post here. Here's the thread he posted at IRS Forum. Appears to have a quick change.

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=574

viewtopic.php

Ralphy

Last edited:
Just some quick advice. Your going to need too catalog all your parts for reference later. As a kit car owner I know. Like that steering rack, I think it may be an MG rack, but the model number? Frankencar!:)

Are the rotors chromed? Inboard brakes may need venting.
14scxsw.jpg

Ralphy

Last edited:
The guy that built it must of had an endless supply of aluminum plate and a ProtoTrac! Does it have a custom frame? The gullwing doors look like the still work.

Yes the rotors are chrome plated. Everything's been chrome plated.
That's what I'm trying to do now figure out what everything is so if I need replacement parts.
When I get to the body I'm going to be changing a few things. Don't know anything about the doors.

Welcome to the motley crew.....

your handle fits that car pretty good there....:clap:

I too have rectangular tail lights.....

Shutterbug link shows just the car....

And the factory frame is gone. It has a 3x3 box frame under the center and the 2x3 running to the front and back. Everything is wrapped in glass. you can not see the frame.

Yes its a 66 Corvette. I said in the title it was highly modified. Lol
If you look inside and the roof you can still see signs it was a 66. I don't like my cars stock so this fits me perfect.

Yes its a 66 Corvette. I said in the title it was highly modified. Lol
If you look inside and the roof you can still see signs it was a 66. I don't like my cars stock so this fits me perfect.

I bought my mild custom in '95, it was owned by a series to two chicks in Suitland Md, outside Wash DC, other side of town from me.....from GM the car was white, but that grew some wicked flares and some '68 Olds tail lights, the front lights were stock when I got the car, as was almost all the running gear, had the OEM engine in place/muncie trans.....

the second chick repainted it burgundy even paint was some 10+ years old when I bought the car, it's obvious it sat in a garage all it's days, no effing way in hell a car set out in maryland weather and be this rust free....not no way.....

SO having forked over 8 grand, I started my updates, and so they basically were over some 6? years ago, been just upkeep now....the change to green is my fault, in that the paint SUX, it's at best a 20-20 car....Since '98 I have replaced engine with '89 roller truck 4 bolt block, overdrive automatic, tons of interior and so had to fix front end damage from a freeking DEER that wiped out the OEM style headlights one night.....then a few years later a Verizon truck backed his hitch into the left front.....2700 bux settlement, and we went see the Grand Canyon, fixed the car when I got back.....:bounce::smash:

over the years I have had it, spent maybe 18 grand total....call it a hundred a month or less.....talk about a cool cheeeeeep ride.....

;):smash:

wow those doors are actually pretty cool.... there had to a crapload of work going into this setup....

The rest of the body work isn't really all that bad once you get the stance right, lower it a tad and get some modern 17" wheels....

chromed rotors ??? now that really is more "show" than "go".....

overall a very interessting project :thumbs:

wow those doors are actually pretty cool.... there had to a crapload of work going into this setup....

The rest of the body work isn't really all that bad once you get the stance right, lower it a tad and get some modern 17" wheels....

I would think that chrome would come off there in a hurry, even under normal street driving, maybe even in sheets and mess up the brakes BAD.....:bonkers:

I would think that chrome would come off there in a hurry, even under normal street driving, maybe even in sheets and mess up the brakes BAD.....:bonkers:

Well were gonna fine out. If it starts to mess up I'll just replace them. Which would suck in the rear since there inboard on the IRS.

I think the chrome will come off after first real application of the brakes.

I love your car it is amazing. It was crafted by some serious talent. You should go all out!

I suggest a complete led lighting and interior rebuild and a hand built custom dash with iPad with digital sound system. Fab some matching beveled interior bezels. Set it up to be a driver! Some GTO or newer corvette seats...

Filling those wheel wells with some 335/25/zr22s and 20s in the front with one-off wheels you design would be the crown.

Well for now its going together with a limited budget I'm going to concentrate on getting all the mechanicals and electrical up to date. Then on to the motor and trans leaving the body work for last.

Well for now its going together with a limited budget I'm going to concentrate on getting all the mechanicals and electrical up to date. Then on to the motor and trans leaving the body work for last.

NICE project, keep us up to date man.....:smash::bump:

Something he didn't mention is. He found out the suspension was designed and built by a NASCAR engineer. Here's a pic I had found back in the day. With original paint!

422be23116df9eca.jpg

Ralphy

After the holidays I'm really going to get going on it. Like Ralphy said the suspension was built by a NASCAR guy.
So I'm going to replace the rotors and calipers. They were the ones used by NASCAR back then. I see there still being used today but mainly in drag racing.
I'm gonna work on getting the holes filled in the firewall today so I can get it painted under the hood and get the motor set in it. Then I can run the wiring.

Why replace the rotors? The chrome will come off hopefully when you use the brakes a few times... The chromed rotor hats sure look nice, better than paint or rust .... When I said "more show than go" I meant that it looks like this car was built for show than driving (interior for example).... Once you get a few things fixed this will be a great ride :thumbs: