C3 Corvette wiring harness

The main difference is that one is going to mount in the stock-ish location, and one is not. You will still have to terminate ends for everything. I like the hot rod kits because they are easier to customize. I moved my fuse box to the center console so it is easier to access.

What do you do about special connectors like start/ignition switch, headlight, wiper, etc? I think my head would explode trying to do this from scratch but, my electrical skills are poor.

I'm still trying to figure out how to wire my ignition:cry:

The system comes with all of the connectors you need they look pretty easy. You cut the wire, crimp the connector and it slides into the factory pigtail. I hope to have mine installed in a couple of weeks... i never did this before but all the wires are labelled where they go so hopefully this will be one of the easier projects I have... I'll take pictures of the progress.

BB Shark, I'll practice on mine and help you on your vette if you want.

The system comes with all of the connectors you need they look pretty easy. You cut the wire, crimp the connector and it slides into the factory pigtail. I hope to have mine installed in a couple of weeks... i never did this before but all the wires are labelled where they go so hopefully this will be one of the easier projects I have... I'll take pictures of the progress.

BB Shark, I'll practice on mine and help you on your vette if you want.

Thanks, I might just take you up on the offer.

How does Painless show you how to wire things like, say you swapped a LS motor?

If its not a Packard 56 connector, (Most of the connectors are) then they expect you to use a bullet male/female to make connections to things like the parking and tail lights. I think they should start supplying things like gauge bulb sockets because you currently have to re-use the stock ones and the wire is prone to breaking. I think you will have to come up with your own harness for the wiper motor speeds, and maybe the heater blower motor speeds. If I can come up with anything else to prepare for, Ill post it up... Been a while since I wired up a stock-ish vette. I have 4 cars in the shop right now that I wired up with the painless hot rod universal kits if you have any questions along the way

I got my wiring harness in and it's pretty good quality. I got all my other accessories out too so I can get everything in one place. I removed the vaccuum to install electric headlight motors, dual electric fans to cool the radiator, they have been tested so now when the new harness goes in, I can hook them all up correctly. The gauges are combined into three that will be above the steering wheel. 7 inch touch screen will be in the middle. It has a dash and rear camera. Oops almost forgot about the push button start, alarm system. More to come.
FB_IMG_1570670780854.jpg FB_IMG_1570670774394.jpg FB_IMG_1570670802932.jpg
FB_IMG_1570670807314.jpg FB_IMG_1570670787500.jpg

Last edited:
Progress

Removed the interior so I can get familiar with the wiring. Dont think it will be bad at all. There was a section in the instructions for LS motor and adding Fuel injection which was pretty cool. Another section for LED lights. The wires are GM colors coded too

My original harnace is pretty jacked up. Missing the entire front section for the lights etc. Hopefully it will work out...

FB_IMG_1570755266069.jpg FB_IMG_1570755278845.jpg
FB_IMG_1570755257329.jpg FB_IMG_1570755252724.jpg

Hey Steve, can you get a picture of the brace end (at the 3 o'clock position)? I would like to see what it attaches to on the right side. My car didn't come with it and I'm adding these to it.

View A (Brace #1)
448dc0a6d65b0e.jpg

Excellent! My car is an early 68 convertible and they didn't have any of those braces. When I tore mine down, the fiberglass was cracked mostly where the trans tunnel joined the firewall. I was able to find the tunnel bracket and braces but not the brackets they attach to.

These pictures are going to help a bunch. Thanks

Your welcome.

Since I am building a custom dash, I'll be adding a few more support brackets to have a frame to screw the finish pieces to.i want to be able to remove them for repair access.

Status

Got all the old wiring out and installed the fuse box, ignition, and steering column. I seperated all the engine bay wires and front lights getting ready to work on them next.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1571017979872.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571017979872.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 9
  • FB_IMG_1571017987077.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571017987077.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 10
  • FB_IMG_1571017991564.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571017991564.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1571016792765.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571016792765.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 10
I am working on the engine wires and trying to hook up a oil temp gauge. There is a small plug with a square bit to remove it right above the oil filter. Will this work for the temp sender? I think it's a 3/8 plug...

Or is anyone using a oil filter sandwich for a 350 sb?