Finally in primer...

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I took this week off work and went at my Vette like a demented panel beater on crack.

I bought some sheet plastic and "boothed-up" mine and my neighbour's car ports then pretended I was a spray painter.

These car's are a prick of a shape to mask up:
354afafce29c051.jpg

354afafce350573.jpg

The Binks gun is nice:
354afafce404a74.jpg

354afafce4c7f84.jpg

354afafce58d5fb.jpg

The booth:
354afafce63f40c.jpg

After I finished, I left it alone for over an hour, then took these. It's not as dark outside as the photo suggests, just the flash made it look that way. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
354afafce70bfa5.jpg

354afafce80236b.jpg

354afafce8a5cd0.jpg

Head west young man, head west, have I got a JOB for you!!!

lookin' good man.....:hi::beer:

looking good Wayne....

Is that a HVLP gun ? When I spray primer thru a 2mm tip I don't have much overspray, no need to mask the entire garage when spraying primer... although I can't see any overspray/dust in the air of course I still wear a mask like the one you have
It'll be quiet different when you spray base/clear :devil:

Yes, primer's all it is, although I'm tempted to leave it like that! I still have to finish off some body work now but wanted to get a good epoxy base on first. It was a ton of work undoing all the previous crap and shitty work but it's done now.

Just have to plod on with the remaining body work...

looking good Wayne....

Is that a HVLP gun ? When I spray primer thru a 2mm tip I don't have much overspray, no need to mask the entire garage when spraying primer... although I can't see any overspray/dust in the air of course I still wear a mask like the one you have
It'll be quiet different when you spray base/clear :devil:
Thanks Karsten. And yes, it is an HVLP gun. First time I've used one and there was basically NO overspray and really nice to use. I spat a couple of times but I'll just rub them out.

As much as I'm tempted, I don't think I'll put the colour on. I'll finish off the body work, re-squirt it with the expoxy, give it a couple of coats of the hi-build primer I have then I'll take it in to a paint shop.

Looks good and a lot better than I could ever hope for. I does look like a color coat, not primer.
First time I've used a spray gun in over 11 years - kinda felt good :thumbs:

PPG DP40LF Grey/Green supposedly. Nice colour though. I think I've decided on the final colour - something like OEM paint code 39 Charcoal Metallic, with a kind of Motion arse end...
81c1.jpg

'Dems purdy. I do like those colors and paint scheme. I thought of doing a motion stripe like scheme for mine, but paint is some many years away. Mine will most likely stay in primer for years once I get that far.

As much as I'm tempted, I don't think I'll put the colour on. I'll finish off the body work, re-squirt it with the expoxy, give it a couple of coats of the hi-build primer I have then I'll take it in to a paint shop.

Base/clear is about as simple a spraying primer, just read and follow the directions on the tech sheets. Typically they want you to wait 24hrs before applying high build primer over epoxy.
Spray a coat of reduced epoxy over the high build primer before you apply base. For dark charcoal I'd use black epoxy sealer (reduced primer) as a base.

It's easy.....

Nice job! I would be carefull using newspaper in masking though. Paint tends to bleed thru it and onto what you want to protect.

Danny

Base/clear is about as simple a spraying primer, just read and follow the directions on the tech sheets. Typically they want you to wait 24hrs before applying high build primer over epoxy.
Spray a coat of reduced epoxy over the high build primer before you apply base. For dark charcoal I'd use black epoxy sealer (reduced primer) as a base.

It's easy.....
No, it's not the actual spraying part that worries me, it's getting crap in the paint while I'm doing it. I swept and hosed the carports down before I bagged them up but there was still some crap in there. Plus, the company I work for is moving us all to a new compound (supposedly) in March next year and all they have there for cars is a basic sun shade, which would be even harder to seal and keep clean. Besides, doing a colour change and having to do all inside the door jambs etc is a PITA...

Damn! That's coming along nice. When you do the top coats, put water down on top of the concrette to control the dust kicking up from the floor.

congrats Wayne, well done so far. What products are you using?

Damn! That's coming along nice. When you do the top coats, put water down on top of the concrette to control the dust kicking up from the floor.
Thanks guys. So far I've been using PPG. Actually I don't think the shop I've been using even sell anything else.

As for painting it, It depends on whether I can get to top coat stage while I'm living on this compound. If the company move us to the new compound, the car ports are little more than a piece of shade cloth on four poles and would be far harder to "seal".

Wayne,

The car looks great, but it would alot better with the wife beside it!
I agree, it certainly would! I'll try and get her to agree to some more pics in the near future... :thumbs:

Last edited: