Birdcage swap, would it work?

See guys, I'm gonna try this out, importing the birdcage as a car, it so it will be a '74 resto, if not it will be a '76. This gonna be "fun" at the customs. I'll let you know. *finger crossed*

I think this is funny, and ironic.....

:banned:

It's been a long day

:yahoo:mission accomplished:yahoo:

16554cfc77ed1b9dc.jpg

16554cfc7828b8588.jpg

Needagotobed.:goodnight:

First I can now tell the whole. This birdcage has been GIVEN to me, yes GIVEN, for free, by the great Tom "Santa" Sarno. Seeing how I've put his hoarded (from his own words) frame to such a good use, and since he couldn't find a buyer for the birdcage he bought a the same time, he contacted me with thisdeal you just can't refuse. He even did half of the NJ-QC trip.
We had to make up a couple of buying proof so I could make the custom believe I bought it for 400$. If I had told them it was given, they would simply not have believed me.

So is it going to be a 74 or 76??

:search::confused:

Good question MrVette, good question.
At the custom I discovered there was a catch to get a car imported: you have to leave the car for 3 days a the US Custom office for them to check if the car is clear/not stolen. I may have check that earlier, but I wouldn't have gone thru the hassle of getting back to the border in 3 days anyway.
So basically this 74 is legal in Canada but can't be sold back to US now.
The Canadian custom officer was very nice, made me an importation paper but told me it wouldn't work. Let me explain. This paper is for car still in one shape and it leaves you 90 days it have it plated. Not the case for me. So he told me that all that would count is the US title.
I guess I have to call the SAAQ (quebec car registration agency) to find out how I should do.
Talking of doing stuff legally, I'm not sure I'm heading the right way, given this allegedly '74 has metal floorpan *ahem* :eek:h:

So I'm still wondering what to do.
Going the '76 way, a little side windshield frame grafting and I'm good to go, or the '74 way, going thru all the registration process, technical inspection (pricey) to end up with a car that is persona non grata in the US...

On the other hand the new birdcage is a dream, very light surface rust, some part still sporting the original unrusted metal. Light sand trapped in the body mount, this car is from the south, probably a desert area, looks like it only saw rain a couple of time.

Minor issues, it's a manual birdcage, just to make me regret even more the fact I have a auto. I often see people cutting their auto trans tunnel to get the stick thru, and me, I'm gonna have to do the opposite. sigh.
Several little damages on the fiberglass, but nothing major.

So I'm ready to start the rebuilt, from a completly rust free base :yahoo:
I know what I'm gonna spend my Xmass holidays at.

Today we're having heavy snow, so it looks like I made the move a the latest possible time. Vette's gods are we me.

I dont think it's that bad to change the birdcage or even a windshield post to restore a car.

Cant be as bad as changing the body using those.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/Ford_Models2.html

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html

How do they do with those?
just take a part of the body where the VIN tag is and weld it up?
I guess they call them "licensed" because they've been approved by the carmaker, thus allowing a legal VIN transfer. Maybe not.

This is cool, you sure dont mess around.
man you need a bigger pick up lol
In fact no. This 4x8 small trailer was THE way to go, the rocker channel landed on the side of the trailer just perfectly. Tom brought is to me in a flat bed trailer and the seatbelts anchor got damaged during the transport.
So the bigger is not always the better.

I dont think it's that bad to change the birdcage or even a windshield post to restore a car.

Cant be as bad as changing the body using those.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/Ford_Models2.html

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html

How do they do with those?
just take a part of the body where the VIN tag is and weld it up?

Bingo Baby.....I know men here locally that have fooled NCRS and gotten all the awards with a fake car.....so transferring a mere vin tag is child's play.....

for all the bother the typical DMV actually looks at one.....?? get real....

like when Xfering my cars from Md, to Florida, I had to make 3 trips to the DMV, just down the road, each case, they looked at the vin# for maybe ten seconds to see it matched the paperwork, but to think for a second that anyone ever looked any closer?? not ever not even in PC Maryland.....

:flash::goodnight:

I just watched an episode of "chop cut rebuild" and that about what they did with the Keisler Charger project.

They basicly replace all the body parts, the guy was explaining thet the VIN was on the radiator support and it was "blended" with the newer part.

There was not much of the original car left there.

Appart the VIN.