why did 90-96 vettes have a surge tank and 84-89 didn't?

JeffP1167

This will probably need to be installed in my 82 since it is part of my 1990. Seems like to me the 90-96 radiator is mounted much lower then a 84-89 due to it's raked back mounting. Or could a section of the cooling capsule be cut out so I could install a radiator with a radiator cap in there? Or could a smaller version of the surge tank be used since it that area my 82 has not much room to mount the surge tank.

The tank is there because the whole rad is lower than the highest coolant point on the engine, moving the pressure tank to the firewall area and up makes it possible to let it burp there and fill it there.

The tank is there because the whole rad is lower than the highest coolant point on the engine, moving the pressure tank to the firewall area and up makes it possible to let it burp there and fill it there.

Wonder if I can use my 82 and 90 evaporator core box and make a hybrid so I can get the surge tank up in that area. I see this conversion be "pioneer" all the way. I've done tons of internet searches and have never come across a TPI conversion like what I want to do in a C3 or anyone who has even thought about it. Well, one thing is for sure. If I pull it off it will be a unique C3.

Wonder if I can use my 82 and 90 evaporator core box and make a hybrid so I can get the surge tank up in that area. I see this conversion be "pioneer" all the way. I've done tons of internet searches and have never come across a TPI conversion like what I want to do in a C3 or anyone who has even thought about it. Well, one thing is for sure. If I pull it off it will be a unique C3.

Jeff, there are SO many TPI conversions on a C3 out there, it's not even funny, they all over CF, much less mine, done straightaway in 95 when I bought the car, it was maybe 4 months old then.....

largest hassle was wiring, but being a simplified system without the EPA/.gov crap, the amount of wires was cut in 1/2 easy....

:amazed:

Jeff, there are SO many TPI conversions on a C3 out there, it's not even funny, they all over CF, much less mine, done straightaway in 95 when I bought the car, it was maybe 4 months old then.....

largest hassle was wiring, but being a simplified system without the EPA/.gov crap, the amount of wires was cut in 1/2 easy....

:amazed:

Yeah but how many of those tpi conversions have everything else from a newer vette under there hoods? All I see are just the TPI systems installed but everything else is pure C3.

I got offered 3500 for my 90 vette but don't think I can buy everything I need for this kind of conversion I want to do for that price. Also been pondering with having most everything polished or chrome plated under the hood. I've never liked th underhood looks of a c3 and like how everything is much nicer looking on a c4 and that is why I want to put as much possible from the 90 in my 82.

Help me with my confusion here. I can understand Chevrolet putting a surge tank on the '92 and later cars due to the oddities of the LT1 cooling system, but what changed for the '90 and '91 L98s (versus the earlier C4 engines)? Was it just a shorter height radiator, or what?

Help me with my confusion here. I can understand Chevrolet putting a surge tank on the '92 and later cars due to the oddities of the LT1 cooling system, but what changed for the '90 and '91 L98s (versus the earlier C4 engines)? Was it just a shorter height radiator, or what?

I see 84-89 the radiator looks almost raked forward but by tilting the radiator back in the 90 the top is much lower then even the thrmostat housing.

0103101637.jpg

89-Vette-017.jpg