4+3 OD dropping out

jpetrick

Ok, so I take the 84 out today for a lil romp down the highway for a meeting I have, it was a 90 mile trip one way. I got the car out and started down the highway and it was fine, after a cpl miles i felt the OD drop out then kick back in then for the rest of the trip there it seemed fine...no issues...parked the car..went to the meeting no worries. On the way home, it dropped the OD off and on for like the first 30 miles back then the OD stayed on and it seemed fine the rest of the way. So...where do I start? I checked the switch and it checked out ok...I just changed the fluid in it maybe 900 miles ago...which was the second time I have changed it...I do a complete fluid change every year in all the cars no matter what.....could it be that I didn't change the OD filter and just cleaned it? and does anybody have a part number for that filter? any thoughts?

I have never even seen one, but they have a very bad reputation over the wires for years now....

I understand some parts are available, but maybe you should do a later stick shift C4 conversion....

:surrender::eek: Best of luck...

I did have almost the same thing happen a few years ago when I first got the car but after a fluid change it always worked fine....I did buy a zf 6speed and after talking to Marck about the output shaft I was going to put it in that one but have seriously been thinking about dropping it in the 75 I am building..I just had the car up on stands and no leaks or visable damage...lines are not bent or crushed...I'm hoping its something simple..but as my luck goes.... shot at and missed, shit at and hit...

Ok, so I take the 84 out today for a lil romp down the highway for a meeting I have, it was a 90 mile trip one way. I got the car out and started down the highway and it was fine, after a cpl miles i felt the OD drop out then kick back in then for the rest of the trip there it seemed fine...no issues...parked the car..went to the meeting no worries. On the way home, it dropped the OD off and on for like the first 30 miles back then the OD stayed on and it seemed fine the rest of the way. So...where do I start? I checked the switch and it checked out ok...I just changed the fluid in it maybe 900 miles ago...which was the second time I have changed it...I do a complete fluid change every year in all the cars no matter what.....could it be that I didn't change the OD filter and just cleaned it? and does anybody have a part number for that filter? any thoughts?

Do these things have (vacuum) modulators on them or are they all computer controlled? Whatever it is it seems that you are getting an intermittent signal to the trans for the O.D.

I did have almost the same thing happen a few years ago when I first got the car but after a fluid change it always worked fine....I did buy a zf 6speed and after talking to Marck about the output shaft I was going to put it in that one but have seriously been thinking about dropping it in the 75 I am building..I just had the car up on stands and no leaks or visable damage...lines are not bent or crushed...I'm hoping its something simple..but as my luck goes.... shot at and missed, shit at and hit...

I don't remember what ZF you have but if you have a non ZR1 model it's almost bolt in. The ZF will absolutely not fit the C3 without seriously modifying the transmission tuinnel, the clutch is in the way for one thing and the bulky rear with the shifter sticking out will not fit without cutting the floor. Put it in your C4.

theres no vacuum lines attached to the OD...from what i have read it recieves a signal from the ecu i think....I know it doesn't engage under 185 deg temp and i was wondering if this had anything to do with it....when it does drop out the light goes out for the OD as well so maybe signal related..I'm going to check the connectors in the morn when I can see better.....so the ZF is alot of work getting in a C3? I just bought another 6 speed as well still on a LS-1 but haven't seen it yet..

theres no vacuum lines attached to the OD...from what i have read it recieves a signal from the ecu i think....I know it doesn't engage under 185 deg temp and i was wondering if this had anything to do with it....when it does drop out the light goes out for the OD as well so maybe signal related..I'm going to check the connectors in the morn when I can see better.....so the ZF is alot of work getting in a C3? I just bought another 6 speed as well still on a LS-1 but haven't seen it yet..

ZF is massive, and you will have to chain saw your tranny in there....dunno where you going to put your feet, Flintstone mobile....yabba dabba doo.....:amazed:

Maybe this will give an idea of how huge it is:

2480f09eb5d31f.jpg

Yeh, that SOB weight over 200 lbs filled with helium too....doing on on a jack under the car is no fun, even if it's a C4....:shocking:

well the C4 I would have to do it from under the car...but the C3 I'm doing is is stripped to the frame right now starting on the cage so that one could be done before the body is on.....I cleaned off all the road grime from the connectors on the 4+3 and checked the connections...nothing seemed real bad and I had continuity across all the connections..dunno...i'll get it out on the road later and see what happens..

You'll need to build a tranny mount for the ZF, it's set up for a C beam.

As for your 4+3 maybe an issue with the coolant temp sender? If the ECM goes back into open loop the OD won't work.

Thats sort of what I was thinking or hoping...I didn't check the commection on the sender itself..or the sender..I will, I think I have a spare around here.....took the car out on the highway and tried the OD and it didn't drop out ...hhmmm...

Check the connection on the connector at the od unit,I have had the relay do that also.
Good luck
DPC:suicide:

I did check the connectors..they seemed fine..no corrosion or real grime and had continuity..I didn't check the relay....where is it located?

Here's some part numbers for the filter if you haven't already got one:
Carquest 85926, AC Delco TF184, FRAM FT1024, NAPA ATP14717, and Ford D0AZ-7A098-A.

Is that the prowler bumper on your car?

Here's some part numbers for the filter if you haven't already got one:
Carquest 85926, AC Delco TF184, FRAM FT1024, NAPA ATP14717, and Ford D0AZ-7A098-A.

Is that the prowler bumper on your car?

Thanks JS....Not sure about being a prowler front, I bought it on ebay and from what I saw it was a viper front, but may be something similar from another maker? ....I didn't get a filter yet thanks for the PN's....I'm going to do another fluid change soon and see if theres anything up there...right now I was checking connections and my temp sender becuase it seemed elec in nature I'm hoping, its intermitant....so when I can find the relay I'll swap that, already did all the connections...

You probably know but in case you don't, watch out for that o-ring under the filter. It's easy to miss if it comes off with the old filter and I haven't seen any new filters that come with a replacement. I have a part # from McMaster if you need that too.

You probably know but in case you don't, watch out for that o-ring under the filter. It's easy to miss if it comes off with the old filter and I haven't seen any new filters that come with a replacement. I have a part # from McMaster if you need that too.

yeah found out the hard way first time I changed it..had to improvise from my o-ring rack...but even the first time it was cleaned it didn't seem real dirty...I heard the seals between the cases have a tendency to go bad and leak gear oil into the OD...mine seems fine, I got all the parts together to do a ZF swap in it just have to find the time right now so just trying to keep the 4+3 going

Do you have a longer pivot ball? Also, if you can...get a LT5 pressure plate. it's a good bit thicker and will give you better pedal travel since your old motor is not set up for a dual mass flywheel.