Best C4 Year?

1990 is the first year for the new interior. 1991 is the first year for the newer style front and rear facia. I think 93 is the first year of the LT1.

I"m not a fan of the LT1, as years go by, parts are going to be evermore of a bitch.....last I heard opti's were going like 400 bux,

strange thing is, in a larger car like a Caddy/truck the opti's dont give much problem, but lower to the ground like in a vette, HUGE problems.....

heat/moisture?? anyway, IF I had a LT1, I"d be tempted to do a L98 dizzy mod to it....

:crap:

I"m not a fan of the LT1, as years go by, parts are going to be evermore of a bitch.....last I heard opti's were going like 400 bux,

strange thing is, in a larger car like a Caddy/truck the opti's dont give much problem, but lower to the ground like in a vette, HUGE problems.....

heat/moisture?? anyway, IF I had a LT1, I"d be tempted to do a L98 dizzy mod to it....

:crap:

Gene you are right, the LT1 (not the good one 70 to 72) has some design problems around the dizzy. Just not a good design.

I would not own a late model LT1.:crutches:

Keep 'em coming guys, this is the dirt I need to hear before I make a mistake. :sweat:
Are there any "good" C4's or are they all problematic?

Last edited:
Keep 'em coming guys, this is the dirt I need to hear before I make a mistake. :sweat:
Are there any "good" C4's or are they all problematic?

ONE thing I really disliked intensely about my '87 vert (I hear coups had the same issue) was the stupid weatherstrip design....it's all a thin skin over OPEN CELL FOAM....well sure enough the typical problem, the skin breaking around windows, and the top/header so of course it soaked water in, and dripped inside....ran down inside the car via the A pillar....shit like that....dripped on my arm/shoulder like every other damn convertible vette, even the Miata does....

I UNDERATAND they/no one has ever gone to closed cell foam, dunno why, just stooopid.....I had some trunk weatherstrip from Year One, A body crap...it was just as soft and could easily have that same material do the job on any C4, but GM would not ok it....but this was all years ago....

:cry::bonkers:

I have 3 C4's well now down to 2 since we parted the 87 for my sons 85 and they all have their quirks and plusses and minuses.....but nothing that can't be modded to suit the owner...( we do have better technology now) ...my favs to drive are the latter 92-up with the 6-speed....its a fun car.

The 89s and up have the ZF6 speed, Xanders 91 has it too and it's awesome. My favorite year would be the 91 as it still has the TPI so no opticrap to deal with. I also think all the later cars have blue tag transmissions built in the US the black tag German ones are stronger. The latest have a crash through rear gear I like the lift up collar a lot better.

I sort of depends on what body style you like. Do you like the 91-up style or the original design? The Optispark was improved in 95-6 and the 96 is OBDII.

If you want to work with the engine, a 90-91 might be a good choice. The 90 has the new style interior wich is way better than the old Atari interior.

Even the later optispark and the msd thing are not buleltproof.

Another reason the LT1 induction has the L98 dizzy on backside in my car...like some web guys who did it before me....

I think the LT1 has a dizzy drive gear mounted lower to hit the oil pump per normal spec, so I THINK putting a L98 dizzy would bring best of both worlds...

NO??

:shocking:

Now that I re read this, seems I read a post about someone doing that just for spark distribution reasons, and kept the Opti electronics down front....some such combo that made sense anyway....

Last edited:
What about a C4 ZR1?
I dont see a lot of comments here good or bad about these cars.
They were available from what? 92 to 95.
are they rare, therefore expensive to maintain or get parts for them?

Anybody had or own one of these?

It's a nice unique engine but too heavy, drop an LS1 into a C4 and it will smoke the Z, the sound is incredible though. ZR1/LT5 was available from 90-93. The 93 has a 4 bolt block, all of them are SEFI where the TPI were all batch fire and the LT1 got SEFI in 93???

LT5 parts are expensive and unique to the car, starter motor, clutch, bellhousing, tranny w/ longer input shaft than TPI/LT ZF6...and so on.

Cool, A neighbor has one and true, the sound of this thing is different for sure.
Theres a couples for sale around Montréal and theyve been bothering me a bit,
Wouldnt mind trading the Stang for one of them.

Thanks and sorry for highjacking the post.