Pace Car front spoiler mod by Bee Jay

Bee Jay

I got tired of getting my body color Pace Car front spoiler painted almost annually, twice this year. I decided to add a splitter to protect the paint and maybe add some performance. I started with 1/4" plywood and came up with this. If this works good, I can use this as a pattern and cut one out in aluminum sheet. I drove it to church today and the plywood already protected the spoiler twice. What do you guys think?
Bee Jay
Corvette545.jpg
CopyofDSC_0543.jpg
CopyofDSC_0546.jpg
CopyofDSC_0554.jpg
CopyofDSC_0555.jpg
DSC_0557.jpg
splitter2.jpg
splitter6.jpg
splitter1.jpg

You need to quit using your chin spoiler as a curb feeler!

The plywood is rather unobtrusive and seems to be effective - I say well done! :thumbs:

Looks like it is time for some new tires.... those front skins look thin.

The plywood is rather unobtrusive and seems to be effective - I say well done! :thumbs:

New 275/40-18s going on the front today. Tire Rack had them for $86 each.:thumbs:
Bee Jay

I dunno BJ, be MY damn luck to hit that damn man hole cover in the middle of a main drag here, and tear the whole friggin' thing off.....
instead of just damaging one spot.....

best of luck....

:sos:

I kinda like the splitter look and I can see where it would protect the paint.

You can buy a 1/4 (24 x 48) sheet of 1/8 thick black polyethelene for ~$35. That stuff will take a beating without breaking.

Look'in good Bee Jay I have the same spoiler therefore I can relate, I wonder how the wood would hold up in the rain. Or maybe you don't drive in the rain?

New 275/40-18s going on the front today. Tire Rack had them for $86 each.:thumbs:
Bee Jay

I am a BIG FAN of Tire Rack. Great prices and fast delivery too....

I like that idea Bee Jay, I was a bit worried about the spoiler I have to bolt onto mine.

I do like Larry's idea though:
I kinda like the splitter look and I can see where it would protect the paint.

You can buy a 1/4 (24 x 48) sheet of 1/8 thick black polyethelene for ~$35. That stuff will take a beating without breaking.
Although I have absolutely no idea where I would get that stuff out here! Larry, do you have a web page link?

I don't know anything about polyethelyne. That link has it for $61. I'd like to give it a try. Is it as stiff as the plywood? Can I cut it with a scroll/jig saw? how much does it weigh? I only have Home Depot aroung here.
Bee Jay

Last edited:
It is listed as Shore D65 which is pretty hard. An 1/8 sheet is going to be rigid. I would say about the same a 1/4 plywood. The stuff cuts easily but leaves a ragged edge that is difficult (but not impossible) to dress down.

I'll bet there is a plastics supplier close to you or try Mcmaster. They should be able to get you a quote over the phone.

If you have any boat manufacturers close by you could probably get some scrap "Starboard" from them. It comes from1/4" to 1" thick. I actually have a bunch of black 1/2 " stuff that is around 4 ft long and 2"+ wide if you could use two seperate pieces. It all cuts best with a router or you can DA the edges and scrape with a straight box/razor blade to smooth it up.
Cheers

I'll have to find some of these alternatives locally. Maybe I'll do something about this parachute rear end also.
Bee Jay
Corvettebatwing348.jpg

Thought I posted -- but musta been NOOBie-ITS. Is there a cure?
Looks great - I'll probably incorporate - but may use "bendy-ply" aka doorskin and fiberglass. There are some club racers in OZ that say", "If you still have it after 2 races -- You aren't trying hard enough!"

Starboard is heavy -- even in 1/4 inch, and expensive. How about using some of the window substitue plastics at HD? Light weight - smoked or clear, should be rigid enough for the front end.

For the parachute -- You gonna cut the bumper up? Or build an underbelly diffuser?

Cheers - Jim

Looks great - I'll probably incorporate - but may use "bendy-ply" aka doorskin and fiberglass. There are some club racers in OZ that say", "If you still have it after 2 races -- You aren't trying hard enough!"

Starboard is heavy -- even in 1/4 inch, and expensive. How about using some of the window substitue plastics at HD? Light weight - smoked or clear, should be rigid enough for the front end.

For the parachute -- You gonna cut the bumper up? Or build an underbelly diffuser?

Cheers - Jim

I figure some sort of undercar belly pan, but I guess I could put a rear license plate grill like I did up front. No front plate and no rear plate. Figure I'd get pulled over then? Maybe a flip up plate. Hit a switch, and the rear plate flips up to vent the rear end. When your in traffic or being followed by the Highway Patrol, hit the switch and lower the rear plate.
Bee Jay

Cheers - Jim

I figure some sort of undercar belly pan, but I guess I could put a rear license plate grill like I did up front. No front plate and no rear plate. Figure I'd get pulled over then? Maybe a flip up plate. Hit a switch, and the rear plate flips up to vent the rear end. When your in traffic or being followed by the Highway Patrol, hit the switch and lower the rear plate.
Bee Jay

almost a foot of rear panel between top of plate and top of spoiler flip, no?? lots of chute left....still thinking of those holes in the panel....

:lol::lol::hissyfit: one thing for sure, can't ruin the paint job.....:hissyfit:

Yessss - a great diffuser and belly pan -- another good reason for SIDE PIPES!

Probably want to get the ram air out from behing the rear wheels too. Something like the "classic" Ferrari GT350 back in the 60's or the original Grand Sports.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks for the link mate but that would be a PITA trying to get a whole sheet delivered out here/ I'll have a look around next time I'm in town and see if I can't pick something up :thumbs: