low budget paint job - Mustang

MYBAD79

I decided to finally paint the Mustang. The green was just totally unacceptable :lol:

Started sanding today, hope to get it done tomorrow.

Low budget: I am using leftover epoxy primer and PPG shopline clear... I only bought two quarts base coat (one sprayable gallon should be plenty for this small car) and two quarts clear so the total was $200

I hope to get the paint done tomorrow, it's going to be dark charcoal metallic.

214b6230d97083e.jpg

Nice. Looking forward to the results. I was hoping the green would stay. Maybe some of those awesome early '90's brush stroke pinstripes with that pastel pink, lavender and blue.

But dark charcoal grey is cool too, I guess :D

I was hoping the green would stay.

You must be joking :lol:

I like dark green metallic on a roadster.... f.e. Miata, even on a C3 it looks great.... on this car ?? No....

There was never any doubt that this color had to go.... I just had to make sure the rest of the car is in decent shape before I invest time and money in paint :clap::clap:

Are you going to paint that in your driveway?

Now that the car is sitting on jacks I can't move it .... so yes, driveway paint... that's the plan :bounce:

Damn, a buddy of mine started painting his car in the driveway and the neighbors went nuts and turned him in. Police showed up etc, etc.

I think you're legally allowed to spray a quart at a time outside. That's what my friend's Dad (pro-painter) told me. So keep the cans in the garage and keep one quart sized can by the car for show. :cool:

If my neighbors did that to me they'd get a full can of brake fluid poured all over each of their cars at 2am. Then they'd be asking me for some paint advice. :cussing::bounce:

Last edited:

Now that the car is sitting on jacks I can't move it .... so yes, driveway paint... that's the plan :bounce:

Damn, a buddy of mine started painting his car in the driveway and the neighbors went nuts and turned him in. Police showed up etc, etc.

Typical prissy Slohio.....the most weenie motoring state I know of, followed close by Faryland.....

I have sprayed a LOT of shit in my drive, and no one cares....

even the guy downwind of me....

:D:bonkers: didn't say anyting about my body work or spray paint talent, just that I have DONE it without neighbor's complaints...

I've had a guy from the environmental dept here about three years ago.... somebody complained about paint fumes... I was told as long as the fumes and overspray doesn't "leave" my property it's ok.... if the neighbors are assholes there's not much you can do.... I hope those assholes have a job and go to work instead of sitting at home all day watching the neighbors....:lol:

I've had a guy from the environmental dept here about three years ago.... somebody complained about paint fumes... I was told as long as the fumes and overspray doesn't "leave" my property it's ok.... if the neighbors are assholes there's not much you can do.... I hope those assholes have a job and go to work instead of sitting at home all day watching the neighbors....:lol:

I'm SO damn lucky to land on this particular block, all of us olde phardt retarred types, some working PT, some just set and grouch all day....ME, I stay buzzy as a want to....OR set on the computer and post all day just to bug you all....:tomato::ghost::goodnight::loveletter:

I think you're legally allowed to spray a quart at a time outside.

I hope that a federal law.... I'll spray one quart at 11AM and another at 11:30AM.... then a quart clear at 12:30..... and another quart clear at 1:30 .. perfectly legal :D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're legally allowed to spray a quart at a time outside.

I hope that a federal law.... I'll spray one quart at 11AM and another at 11:30AM.... then a quart clear at 12:30..... and another quart clear at 1:30 .. perfectly legal :D:D:D:D

Call the police station anonymously and ask them how much is allowed in your state. Don't ask whether or not it's legal, ask for an amount. Otherwise they might tell you no if they don't know.

I'm about a 1/3 of the way done sanding my boat. Going to be a low effort, low cost job too. So who sells cheap charcoal paint, primer and clear? :)

I spent half a day "bagging up" my carport before priming the BOSS only to find out that when spraying the epoxy primer, there was almost no overspray and what there was, was dry before it hit the floor and when I sprayed the hi-build, there was a little overspray but it also dried before travelling too far at all. I have my headlight buckets to prime soon - no bagging up this time ;)

Be sure to cover your driveway, or it will match your car and not necessairly your house. My HOA has a rule against painting driveways colors. You could open a backdoor to their making trouble for you. Damn insects in FL aren't likely to give you a break either, but good luck and post an after pic.

I'm about a 1/3 of the way done sanding my boat. Going to be a low effort, low cost job too. So who sells cheap charcoal paint, primer and clear? :)

I bought locally because I did not need a gallon of each. If you need a gallon then TCPglobal is the way to go: their "restoration shop" paint is good stuff, I've used it. The "kit" with base, reducer, clear and activator is under $300 shipped (shipping UPS is $50). Scroll all the way down to see the metallic colors.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/RestorationShop/

I spent half a day "bagging up" my carport before priming the BOSS only to find out that when spraying the epoxy primer, there was almost no overspray and what there was, was dry before it hit the floor and when I sprayed the hi-build, there was a little overspray but it also dried before travelling too far at all. I have my headlight buckets to prime soon - no bagging up this time ;)

I just reinstalled my headlight buckets, only took me a year.

I just reinstalled my headlight buckets, only took me a year.
Upon reflection, the headlight buckets were moderately easish to remove - but that was with the nose off. Nose is back on now, I'm thinking I can see how it would take a year to put em back... :amazed: