Matching color...

MYBAD79

appears to be quiet difficult. I bought a Qt PPG shopline "le mans blue" for my '06 and it was a little bit too dark so i returned to the store and had them match it to my fuel door.... now it's too light, actually worse than before... I resprayed a section today and added a few drops black... better but still not perfect...

I'm using a very slow reducer in mid-90F temp and I spray the basecoat "wet" - will dusting it on dry change the appearance ?? Probably not but I thought I ask anyways....

I'm painting the rear bumper off the car, I read that many say you have to blend into the next panel... I prefer not to paint the quarters and rather get the darn paint to match...

It all makes a difference, pressure, distance, angle, wetness. Biggest difference is the experience, so keep at it. :D

And don't blend a bumper.

blending is done into the next panel with base and clear. Thats how the did my 97 arctic white camaro. They next buffed the whole car out and you can't tell the back and 1/4 panel has been repainted.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBn5JuIr4Fw[/ame]

I dunno how in hell you body guys do that shit, it's all FM to me, I have tried and cried over the years from time to time, and I just flat don't have any talent what so EVER for it....none, zilch, nada, fuggetaboutit....

and it irritates hell out of me, one of my fathers old friends from decades ago had the touch, that man could pour hose piss on a car and it'd match....

I can't get 2 cans of freeking latex inside a house to match on a wall....i'ts a damn curse....

:shocking::pprrtt::ill:

Here is the camao that was blended

0126100818.jpg

It all makes a difference, pressure, distance, angle, wetness. Biggest difference is the experience, so keep at it. :D

And don't blend a bumper.

how many coats of blue will i have on this bumper when I'm done (and happy with the result) ???

:hissyfit::hissyfit:

I mounted it today. Good enough for now..... I'll take care of the color mismatch when I install the widebody quarters to cover the 325-30-19 tires on 19x12 Spiders :bump::bump::bump:

:bs: I ain't bitchin' just tellin' the TRUTH!!!! :hissyfit::censored:

I offered to shoot it for you when you stripped/sanded it back in (when? 2008?) ...... now you've got to sand or strip all that crap off the car before "normal" paint can be used .... :rain::rain::rain:

Take you gas cap lid off and have a custom batch of paint mixed to match it. They will put the lid under a machine and it will tell them what to add to get your paint very close.

so maybe I should take that video to the store ???

The color mis-match after they "matched" it to my fuel door is actually worse than before....

I'll try to get a photo tomorrow in daylight/sunlight....

I assembled the bumper and installed taillights and license plate - good enough for now. I can spray the transition with the bumper on the car once I have paint that matches.... and then just wetsand and buff the clear to blend....

:bs: I ain't bitchin' just tellin' the TRUTH!!!! :hissyfit::censored:

I offered to shoot it for you when you stripped/sanded it back in (when? 2008?) ...... now you've got to sand or strip all that crap off the car before "normal" paint can be used .... :rain::rain::rain:

That is WAY over what I could ever accept, I can't afford any reasonable pay on it, I appreciate the thought though....thanks anyway....

:thumbs:

I had my L-88 hood painted by the same guy that did my car 3 years ago (2007 Cadillac White Diamond Pearl) and it is a different color! It's about 2 shades lighter than the rest of the car. Looks like hell. He swears it is the same paint code he used before. PPG paint. I finally convinced him to take it back in on July 9th and re-do it. We'll see. If not I'll just have to store the hood till the whole car needs a re-paint. :suicide:

That is WAY over what I could ever accept, I can't afford any reasonable pay on it, I appreciate the thought though....thanks anyway....

Hmmm.... I don't have a booth so it would have been a driveway or garage job at best.... look at the low budget Mustang re-paint I just did a few months ago.... can be done for very cheap with acceptable result....

Back when you painted it it was not much work: sand, prime, paint...... now you've got to get all that crap you put on there off before you can shoot it again, only god knows how this stuff reacts when you topcoat it...:smash::smash:

Anyways, if you decide to strip/sand and get it ready for primer just buy the material, get it down here and I'll shoot it.... bring beer, order pizza... maybe we can get a few local guys involved and make it a "sand and shoot Gene's vette" day.... :smash::smash::smash:

I had my L-88 hood painted by the same guy that did my car 3 years ago (2007 Cadillac White Diamond Pearl) and it is a different color! It's about 2 shades lighter than the rest of the car. Looks like hell. He swears it is the same paint code he used before. PPG paint. I finally convinced him to take it back in on July 9th and re-do it. We'll see. If not I'll just have to store the hood till the whole car needs a re-paint. :suicide:

Worst case you could have him blend it into the fenders. If he's a pro he can do it... I don't think I would try it myself...I admit I need some more practice before I would attempt blending :1st:

Hmmm.... I don't have a booth so it would have been a driveway or garage job at best.... look at the low budget Mustang re-paint I just did a few months ago.... can be done for very cheap with acceptable result....

Back when you painted it it was not much work: sand, prime, paint...... now you've got to get all that crap you put on there off before you can shoot it again, only god knows how this stuff reacts when you topcoat it...:smash::smash:

Anyways, if you decide to strip/sand and get it ready for primer just buy the material, get it down here and I'll shoot it.... bring beer, order pizza... maybe we can get a few local guys involved and make it a "sand and shoot Gene's vette" day.... :smash::smash::smash:

Should I bring the Benelli??

:clap::surrender:

The "Paint Code" on your car gives you what is known as a "blend-able match".
Basically what the video explained. Not an "exact match". As stated in the
video there are several colors in a Formula that make up the particular color
that is on your car. When "tinting" a color to get an exact match you ALWAYS
start with the "toner colors" that were actually used to make up the Paint Code
Color (color on your car). Never simply add black to darken or white to lighten.
It doesn't work that way...you'll only screw-up the mix. These are only (last
resorts... I've tried everything else what have I got to lose now methods.)

I have meet some jobbers that were REAL good at matching, most just get by.
The mass majority of bumper covers on cars do not match the rest of the car
straight from the factory. This is due to the fact the covers are usually sprayed
in a different area than the main body. Go visit any new car dealer lot and
you'll see this.

If you want an accurate match blend that cover into the rest of the car.
As for the Pearl color being the exact same mix and not matching... that
is True... this goes back to the comment about pressure, distance, etc.
Pearls are VERY sensitive to this.

NOTE.. with metallics .... higher pressures make colors lighter. Lower pressures
will make colors darker. You "can" use this method to get a better match.
But it's not a guarantee fix.

If you decide to give a blend a try remember you blend the color but still
clear the whole panel. Like most everything in Paint & Body there is an
art to it... but doesn't mean you can't become the artist. :thumbs: