Looking for infos on rear spoiler design

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
After seeing pics of Robert's "77Custom" car the idea of making a rear spoiler grew on me.
20110826100509.jpg

So I'm looking a good references on rear spoiler design/aerodynamic.

I got some remains from my college fluid dynamic courses and I had to deal with it all along my game programmer career (realtime Navier-Stokes solver), so I'm not afraid a paper with equation.

I just want to go further than the "planes' wing upside down" concept.

Pardon my old ass, but about 99% of the 'spoilers' do just that, spoil the looks of the car,

whatever it takes to make a race car WIN is fine....

but there are simply NO designs going to out dooooo the Plymouth Super Bird, bar NONE....

and so, I like the early shark designs the best on that score....

and this has been my opinion for some decades now....

:hi::clap::flash:

I don't believe there's a noticeable difference under 100mp/h that justifies putting money and time into a rear spoiler design.... now above 100mp/h it's going to be VERY significant but where are you going to go that fast ???

For looks: yes, spoilers can be pretty cool looking .... whatever you like.... I prefer the integrated look of this 80's style bumper/spoiler over the "add ons" but to me it comes all down to personal preference....

.... I prefer the integrated look of this 80's style bumper/spoiler over the "add ons" but to me it comes all down to personal preference....
I used to think just as you Karsten, but now I'm tired of the '80 bumper style, the tail is not blending right with the rest of the rear body lines IMHO.
I agree Gene, the shape of the back of the chrome bumpers is just perfect and it's my plan A, smoothing down a '80 bumper to make it looks like so.
I don't like the original 'sloppy' shape of my '76's back, but the spoiler pictured above breaks it and gives a more balanced look. Hence a plan B.
And while I'm thinking about making a spoiler/wing, better think it right.

I agree, on a pre 78 model the later style bumper with the fin doesn't blend in as well as it does on a bubble window Vette....

I don't like the stock bumper all that much either, if it was me I'd probably graft the older style chrome bumper back on there, minus the chrome like this one....

My_Vette_012.jp.jpg

I agree, on a pre 78 model the later style bumper with the fin doesn't blend in as well as it does on a bubble window Vette....

I don't like the stock bumper all that much either, if it was me I'd probably graft the older style chrome bumper back on there, minus the chrome like this one....

My_Vette_012.jp.jpg

That's my favorite Vette. :1st::wink:

My_Vette_012.jp.jpg

Mine too:cool:

My_Vette_012.jp.jpg

Humm, I remember seeing that Vette, I dont know...
Beautifull but ...in my opinion, something's missing.

Purely aerodynamically speaking with my limited knowledge, it seems to me that to get the true performance of something like that, you need to smooth the airflow over the rear deck first, like the Baldwin Motion cars with the rear window following the lines of the rear 'buttresses' did. That sexy vertical rear window creates a vortex over the rear deck which will not be effectively dealt with by a spoiler of that (or any) type. The rear camback design is a pretty good aerodynamic design for it though --especially when cleaned up by removal of the chrome bumpers like Kidvette's car.
But unless you have the front aerodynamics cleaned up first by lowering, engine compartment venting, airdam and the like (not to mention suspension), you'll find yourself in trouble at 'streetable' higher speeds (shall we say, up to double the posted speed limit) if the rear is planted but you're getting too much air under the front end.
Oh yeah, it does look good, but if performance is what you want, there are other more subtle areas to concentrate on first.

(Perhaps Phantomjock could help--he has a brand new book with all kinds of info about this type of thing!:D)

John

...But unless you have the front aerodynamics cleaned up first by lowering, engine compartment venting, airdam and the like (not to mention suspension), you'll find yourself in trouble at 'streetable' higher speeds (shall we say, up to double the posted speed limit) if the rear is planted but you're getting too much air under the front end....
I have a '78 front spoiler, harder front suspension and I will probably lower it a tad once I get it back on the road and everything's seated.

I agree, the rear of the '74 to '79 need something back there. I would go old school.

thum_534f0d11acb593b.jpgthum_534f0d11ad4b227.jpgthum_534f0d11ae1eb01.jpgthum_534f0d11ae7f5b4.jpgthum_534f0d11af4c979.jpgthum_534f0d11afb58d6.jpgthum_534f0d11afd3996.jpgthum_534f0d11b04c920.jpgthum_534f0d11b0d161b.jpg
KidVette, are those rear spoilers period-correct?
Because some looks quite ricer to me, I not sure you're being sarcastic.
No offense.

However, if the red beauty pictured above is yours as said, well, congrats, it's a freaking nice ass.
I think I'm gonna take a mold of Michel's '72 rear bumper for my plan A.

I've always liked the first spoiler pictured, but make no mistake that it is purely aesthetics.
If we're truly worried about downforce though, I think our cars are better served with a rear diffuser. But all that depends on cleaning up the aero on the front and underside of the car. The problem is the c3 design, as cool as it looks, is inherently pretty shitty from an aero perspective. Far too busy trying to throw and push air all over the place instead of working with it. But what did Bill know or care about aero back in the 60's anyway?

No offense.

However, if the red beauty pictured above is yours as said, well, congrats, it's a freaking nice ass.

No sarcasm. Those spoilers are all bone stock from the factory. People kinda forget how wild things were back in the 60's

And thanks for the kind words on my booty. :blush:

No offense.

No sarcasm. Those spoilers are all bone stock from the factory. People kinda forget how wild things were back in the 60's
So today's classic are yesterday's "ricer".

Surely my idea a rear spoiler is motivated by aesthetic, I was just trying combine form and function.
Thanks for all the inputs.

No offense.

And thanks for the kind words on my booty. :blush:

Tell you what's crazy, when I was painting my '72 a few years ago, I considered removing the chrome bumpers and redoing the body like you got there, and honestly was too chicken shit to try it...well, lazy too...but I like what you did there,....:bump::goodevil:

No offense.So today's classic are yesterday's "ricer".

Gotta remember this is period correct as well. :twitch:

534f0e758d09f8d.jpg

Last edited:
No offense.So today's classic are yesterday's "ricer".

Gotta remember this is period correct as well. :twitch:

534f0e758d09f8d.jpg

Yes, but also remember that this, and the Charger Daytona spoiler, were actually functional, not just decorative.

Yes, the reason for it being so high was to get into the smooth airflow above the roof where it could be effective, instead of down in the rear deck turbulence.