How to fix this 2 stage paint job?

JeffP1167

What I had thought was single stage is in fact lacquer 2 stage. When it was sprayed it was shiny but then dulled as it dried. Also since dried has what looks like lacquer checking. Can I smooth it out with say 1500-2000 wet and the clear? Or should I just shoot another coat of base and then clear? Or can I just clear over the dried paint or will I see all the imperfections in the clear?

paintedbumper004.jpg

paintedbumper008.jpg

Here you can see it dulled after drying

bumper1001.jpg

bumper1004.jpg

Here is what the bumper looked like when I first got it. Paid 40.00 for it.

Photo0274.jpg

I cleared it today and it is fine now. Just needs color sanding and buffing and should look nice. No wasn't done in booth, did it in my back yard :beer:

cleared009.jpg

cleared006.jpg

cleared005.jpg

cleared004.jpg

cleared002.jpg

Last edited:
But seriously even at 24.95 a quart it came out nice. Used my 32.95 syphone paint gun and 3.5hp 15 gallon compressor and did it in the back yard.

You seem to have the knack for that shit, wish I did....

mine is a 20-20 car at best....

:hissyfit::clobbered:

You mean my super trick air compressor? She chugs along like a old steam locomotive, purdy aint she?

painting001.jpg

Or my 37.95 PRO spray gun?

painting002.jpg

Or my high tech california air resources board approved paint both

painting003.jpg

Last edited:
amazing result for a $40 gun ... Harbor Freight ?? that's not a HVLP gun or is it ?? didn't think they made HVLP siphon feed guns, anyways the compressor seems to be very small too, what's the cfm rating on that thing ?

amazing result for a $40 gun ... Harbor Freight ?? that's not a HVLP gun or is it ?? didn't think they made HVLP siphon feed guns, anyways the compressor seems to be very small too, what's the cfm rating on that thing ?

The gun was bought at I believe O'reilly's or autozone. I think it was advertized as HLVP. The compressor sucks in all aspects it cant even run a D/A sander or a air grinder for very long. Has a hard time keeping up with the spray gun but it does.

The only blemishes were from sanding marks but the gun laid the paint down nice and can use a quart up fast if you dont watch it.

cheap ass yes but if you watch what your doing it does a decent job.

Oh and if you think it is cause I have painted before that is a extension of the truth. My first time ever touching a paint gun was doing the back of this vette and then the front bumper cover.

This vette is a learning paint project to and once I get better I will buy a nice gun and good quality paint and do my 82 vette.

HVLP ? wow, that makes the result even more stunning LOL

cfm required for a HVLP gun is around 13 ... that's at least what my Devilbiss gun is rated at.... that compressor puts out what ?? 6-8 maybe ???

This just shows you can get away with cheap equipment and undersized compressors and still get great results LOL

cfm required for a HVLP gun is around 13 ... that's at least what my Devilbiss gun is rated at.... that compressor puts out what ?? 6-8 maybe ???

This just shows you can get away with cheap equipment and undersized compressors and still get great results LOL

I will try and see if that label on the side of the compressor says anything. But I guarantee this compressor is garbage. Its about 15 years old now got it from some tool supply place and it probably runs at 1/2 the speed it did when new. Just a single cylinder compressor with original belt and all :shocking: I know you are all thinking this to be a joke and I have nice shit but when I progress to doing other parts I will post a video of me in action with my dinosaur equipment.

haha ask marck I'm sure he can verify my working conditions hahahahaha

I thought it was 15 gallons but it is 20 gallon tank. These might be the cfm numbers you wanted.

today012.jpg

Oh and if you think it is cause I have painted before that is a extension of the truth. My first time ever touching a paint gun was doing the back of this vette and then the front bumper cover.

This vette is a learning paint project to and once I get better I will buy a nice gun and good quality paint and do my 82 vette.

Looks to me like you got the touch..........Anything I paint looks like shit.

It's all in the low-tech equipment you use

Join the club man....join the club.....:confused::ill::gurney: