What benefits do slotted & drilled rotors offer?

JeffP1167

Also have any of you guys ordered from this company?

http://www.r1concepts.com/chevrolet-corvette-1990-hvyduty-disc.htm

I am assuming heavy duty would be the 13" J55 rotors I am looking for.

But what is better for street use these drilled and slotted/ slotted/ or plain rotors?

I am not interested in C5 vette brakes or anything like that. I think for my driving habits J55 will be an adequate upgrade over the cars current 12" brakes.

Another question I have is, they list premium over stock rotors that have a black coating on them. Whats you opinion on these? a waste of money or am I better off just painting the hubs and calling it a day?

they aren't specific on these rotors origin as I would like to avoid china units since I have heard of premature warping issues.

Drilled rotors are speedholes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVV_COOey0E[/ame]

Stock rotors from NAPA are just fine for a street car.

Rotors from AutoZone are just as good..... now, that said, for my Mustang I found a deal on our most favorite auction website: 4 drilled/slotted rotors with semi metallic pads for $150 shipped ... almost too good to be true, I ordered, I received, I installed .... breaks are great and they look really cool too.... :D

Stock rotors from NAPA are just fine for a street car.

Rotors from AutoZone are just as good..... now, that said, for my Mustang I found a deal on our most favorite auction website: 4 drilled/slotted rotors with semi metallic pads for $150 shipped ... almost too good to be true, I ordered, I received, I installed .... breaks are great and they look really cool too.... :D

:shocking: that HAS to be China on the prowl, as I paid like 30 bux each for rotors that NAPA SWORE were American made, and the castings and boxes looked good enough to pass, and they have been fine....this was like 5? years ago, today I can't see it as being American made for your price there....

:shocking::gurney:

I went to autozone and they want 65.00 for the left and 68.00 for the right front rotors. Then 35.00 a piece for the rear rotors.

Normally I could care less about rotors etc. But the ZR1 rims on this car show everything so that is why I brought up the black coated rims to avoid rust issues.

Being plain rotors are about the same price as these slotted and drilled ones, I figured I would ask if there was any benefit is all.

I had a 90 with J55 brakes. Don't get the cheap ones, they warp really easy. The brake pedal pulsed so bad, a passenger could feel it.

Are the un-painted rotors bare steel or zinc plated?

I had a 90 with J55 brakes. Don't get the cheap ones, they warp really easy. The brake pedal pulsed so bad, a passenger could feel it.

Are the un-painted rotors bare steel or zinc plated?

I have no idea ... I used my friends 90 6 speed with the 12" brakes for 3 weeks once and was very dissapointed in it's pathetic brakes and how fast they tended to fade after 3 hard stops. That is why on mine I want to at least go J55 since I have the calipers and abutments and braided lines.

Funny.... the stock GM rotors on my Z28 were warped too, I bought that car with 30K miles, at 40K the rotors were warped. There was no visible wear whatsoever but the pedal pulsed like crazy.... the $60 Auto Zone rotors that I bought back then stayed on the car for over 100K, they were still fine when I sold the car...

Funny.... the stock GM rotors on my Z28 were warped too, I bought that car with 30K miles, at 40K the rotors were warped. There was no visible wear whatsoever but the pedal pulsed like crazy.... the $60 Auto Zone rotors that I bought back then stayed on the car for over 100K, they were still fine when I sold the car...

My original rotors were just swapped out since they couldn't be turned again on my 97 Camaro. Never had a problem with them warping but then again it isn't driven hard at all.

Thinking back on my 90, I remember someone telling me that J55 rotor warp was caused by over tightening the wheels? Can't imagine that would cause it but, as I recall, that's what I was told. Matbe it has something to do with the bearing carrier, not the rotors?

Since nobody has really answered the original question, I'll take a stab at it.
For a street car that will see "spirited" driving, I would suggest just slotted. Even chamfered holes will develop stress cracks. The c5 has Baer Eradispeed rotors on it, slotted and drilled, and they have small stress cracks on just about every hole. They may not be as cool looking as drilled rotors but slotted do a great job of keeping the pads clean and not "out gassing" under repeated hard braking.
As for the coating, how much is the price difference?
And I completely understand about the China thing. You may want to check out These Guys. I've talked to them at SEMA and they swear their brakes are made at their own foundry in Oz.

modern pads don't outgas any significant amount, the whole drilled & slotted hype is bling BS!!!!! Holes crack. Want something the other guys don't have? Get some J hook rotors

Foundry in OZ, must be the same foundry in OZ that those pro action heads are now made, or the australian PBR calipers (the red and silver z06 and GS ones, they are made in china...I have a set), or those PBM blocks and maybe the wheeler stuff too... OZ = China in todays marketing. Both on the other side of the world...no one the wiser :D

Since nobody has really answered the original question, I'll take a stab at it.
For a street car that will see "spirited" driving, I would suggest just slotted. Even chamfered holes will develop stress cracks. The c5 has Baer Eradispeed rotors on it, slotted and drilled, and they have small stress cracks on just about every hole. They may not be as cool looking as drilled rotors but slotted do a great job of keeping the pads clean and not "out gassing" under repeated hard braking.
As for the coating, how much is the price difference?
And I completely understand about the China thing. You may want to check out These Guys. I've talked to them at SEMA and they swear their brakes are made at their own foundry in Oz.

I didn't see any price listing for my 90 vette at all ....

modern pads don't outgas any significant amount, the whole drilled & slotted hype is bling BS!!!!! Holes crack. Want something the other guys don't have? Get some J hook rotors

Foundry in OZ, must be the same foundry in OZ that those pro action heads are now made, or the australian PBR calipers (the red and silver z06 and GS ones, they are made in china...I have a set), or those PBM blocks and maybe the wheeler stuff too... OZ = China in todays marketing. Both on the other side of the world...no one the wiser :D

So at the most just go with slotted rotors and good quality semi-metallic pads?

I redid my brakes 15,000 miles ago. The car is driven everyday. NAPA rotors, and cheap VB and P pads.
I can detect no wear, and have locked all four up at 100 MPH on the 57 freeway.
On our Bird runs in the mountains, brakes have never been an issue.
If you want bling, buy whatever turns your crank. It just doesn't matter that much.
If you want HP, jamb some Brimbos on there.

I just decided to go with normal rotors and extended last semi metallic pads. Bling isn't what I am after. I am just looking for better brakes then the car has now. I have had plain rotors on my 97 camaro since new and it can out brake my friends 90 vette with ease.

Figure the whole setup will cost around 260.00