front rotor/hub and 5/8" studs

MYBAD79

this is a very old photo but the only one I could find that shows the inside of the rotor/hub assembly. It still has the original rivets installed.

I am planning on drilling the rivets, tap the holes and bolt the rotor to the hub (just like Gary does)

I also want to install 5/8" studs - it seems there is enough meat for the larger knurl.

IMG_4720.jpg

Am I missing anything or is this going to be as easy and painless as I think ??

I am putting 5/8 studs in

I'll take some pics maybe today

It looks like I need a 17mm drill for the 17.5mm knurl, .020" under should be a pretty snug fit ... I hope I can find a 17.25mm drill...:D

By the way, there's a TractorSupply store near my house and I almost bought their 11/16" drill. On the box it says 11/16" (17mm)... WRONG !!!! 11/16" is 17.46mm - dumbfarts can't get anything right..... almost drilled the hole too big, only reason I did not buy the drill is the price: $15 is not cheap .... and I wanted to see if HomeDepot has metric sizes :bomb::bomb:

I am putting 5/8 studs in

I'll take some pics maybe today

It looks like I need a 17mm drill for the 17.5mm knurl, .020" under should be a pretty snug fit ... I hope I can find a 17.25mm drill...:D

By the way, there's a TractorSupply store near my house and I almost bought their 11/16" drill. On the box it says 11/16" (17mm)... WRONG !!!! 11/16" is 17.46mm - dumbfarts can't get anything right..... almost drilled the hole too big, only reason I did not buy the drill is the price: $15 is not cheap .... and I wanted to see if HomeDepot has metric sizes :bomb::bomb:

why would you need or want 5/8 studs?

How are you keeping the hub square to the drill bit as you enlarge the holes...drill press?

why would you need or want 5/8 studs?

Because the holes in the stock aluminum rims are larger than 5/8 and you cannot find correct lug nuts for these rims in 1/2" or M12 or M14.... so 5/8" it is....I'll countersink the holes 90 degrees and use conical seat nuts :thumbs:

The stock wheels use shanked nuts for a reason, the aluminium is pretty soft. If you use conical seats you may end up galling them. Kind of weird you can't find the correct nuts for 1/2" studs, even then you could buy some stainless ones and have them milled down. Red, didn't you have a whole bunch of extra long stainless ones?

I did but Lvrpool32/Nick stepped up...I do have a bunch of this stuff, seats and lugnuts for 1/2" studs.......you are correct though, beveled style nuts will destroy aluminum wheels.....whats nice about this style, you don`t have to line up the flanged nuts to the wheel while you are tightening them, these are self aligning.
redvetracr

IMG_1639.jpg

I already bought a set of Moroso (I think) 5/8" studs and nuts - bought them over a year ago when I thought I'm going to sandwich a 5/8" spacer between axla and rim... now that I already have the set I'd like to use it rather than buying another set in 1/2" - I already have too much stuff laying around that either don't fit or I never used it because I changed my mind :suicide:

My Z28 has M12 lug nuts with conical seat, also our Beetle has M14 with conical seat, both have aluminum rims.... did GM use some low quality soft alu or why would it gall ??

TT,
I used M12 nuts with washers to fit the M12 studs on my spacers... could not find these "Corvette specific" lugnuts anywhere, they make repros but only in 7/16"

Redvetracr,
Where can I find a set of these "spacers" with a 5/8" hole ?? These are sweet.... :cool:

spacers? I don`t see any spacers...

Nah... these pieces that go between the nut and the rim.... stepped on one side, conical seat on the other... these are nice, I could machine these from my stock set of lug nuts ... it's not that I ever use the 7/16 nuts again.... :smash:

OK, I'm going to start disassembling the front tomorrow and hopefully get this all done this weekend. I'll sandblast the rotors once removed from the hubs. I plan on NOT removing the wheel bearings so blasting the hubs is a no no....
I also plan on tapping the rivet holes and bolting the rotors to the hubs, I'll sand and clean the mating surfaces and use a little shims as possible to achieve good runout .... I'll probably F something up (like the bearings) so it might be next weekend until it's all back together :footmouth: