Urgent Q about half shafts

Belgian1979vette

Due to my recent bearing failure, I took my rear left suspension apart and have replaced the faulty bearings and associated parts.
I'm not moving onto assembling the trailing arm back into the car but stumbled upon something that seems like an issue.
I reconnected my half shafts (the lower camber rod is not yet mounted) and when rotating the brake disc, I get a point where it seems to hang up. I can see the trailing arm twitch somewhat. I'm sure this is not in the bearings as these turned fine when assembled on the bench. This appeared only after reconnecting the half shaft.
Now this is at full suspension droop because the car is on stands and no rear wheels in her.
When jacking up the trailing arm and rotating the disc it doesn't seem to be doing this.

Is this normal because of the half shaft angle or am I looking at a problem with my u-joints ? I did check them as good as I could while the axle was out and regreased them, but at that point I didn't notice anything abnormal.

I would think you need that camber rod/lower link shaft on there, each side to keep your camber 1/2 was decent, otherwise that thing is all over the joint, and likely to hang up at some point....at that point you can just jack the rear at the diffy and set the arms on jack stands, and test it by hand by turning drive shaft....if that passes, try first gear and see how much it likes life... after that, try with just the jack on the diffy, and no stands....it should be happy even with shocks fully extended.....

:smash:

It's because at full droop the angles exceed the correct angles of operation of the u-joints. That is to be expected in that situation.

There's your answer. It doesn't take much droop to cause that.

Odd, in the past I know damn well I have run the '72 with the ass in the air, and not even thinking of the 1/2 shafts, never an issue....

:bonkers::clap:

Well after some taking apart, checking remounting and such it was indeed the suspension that drooped more than normal. But the lower link wasn't mounted on the one hand and the shock wasn't in either. With these mounted I didn't have the problem.

However, now I have a brake problem *sigh*. But will make another thread about that one.:clobbered:

Well after some taking apart, checking remounting and such it was indeed the suspension that drooped more than normal. But the lower link wasn't mounted on the one hand and the shock wasn't in either. With these mounted I didn't have the problem.

However, now I have a brake problem *sigh*. But will make another thread about that one.:clobbered:

Last change I did on the rear was the Billy Stein shocks, and in fact I dunno if they have stock lengths to them or not, the Monroe shocks on previously did.....I have not run the car with the ass in the air in years now.....

;)