Adjustable Strut Rods

UpperStrut.jpg

I took a look at my stock strut bracket and it looks like the cam bolt is only 1/2" diameter. I had heard it was 5/8", so when I made my strut rods I used 5/8" heims and made the hole in the square plates 5/8" to match. But then this picture looks like a stock bracket and 5/8" bolt and from what I recall, the bushings in the stock struts are all the same ID.

Are the slots in the stock strut bracket 5/8" or 1/2"? If they're 1/2" I'll be back to the drawing board.

I welded 1/8" steel between the stock cam guides and welded the 1/2" slotted hole full too and then drilled out to 5/8" to use the 5/8" heims.

Not that big a deal. It's a good enough improvement that you will never go back anyway and if so, you can always look for an original mount.

Most of this has been said already, but I though I would post anyway

I installed a set of heim jointed strut rods while I was re-doing the rear end for a little over $100. Just make sure you use the heavy duty heim joints and stay away from grease fittings.
2 - 5/8hole X 5/8 Thread (Speedway Motors)
2 - 1/2Hole X 5/8 Thread (Speedway Motors)
2 - 13" long Swedged Steel Tubing (Speedway Motors)
1/8" steel plate to make plates for inner bracket (Lowe's)
5/8 and 1/2" round spacers cut to length (Lowe's)

I just got the car back on the road with this set up so I can't speak on the longetivity, but I plan on checking them fairly often. I can try to post pics if needed, but I don't have any right now.
Hope this helps.