Relocate E-brake cable bracket

JPhil

Huh?
Does anyone have a template or measurements to relocate the e-brake cable bracket to the top of the t-arm? I will probably be doing it with the arms out of the car.

Everybody says to do the top of the arm, but when doing mine on new arms some 15 years ago, I found the best/easiest place was behind the rotor and so I had to relocate the brackets off the frame thwart to the outside edge so the shroud would fit....

I tried all sorts of locations but never did find the topside as working on my '72 here, curious as to the answer to your question too.....

:stirpot::fishing:

I just did some welding on a set of those for gkerr (DC, I don't know if he's here). He had already cut them off- We just pulled the cables, re-routed them to the other side of the T/A, and figured the placement from both where they were on the side and where they pulled the cable fairly tight. You'll need to talk the him and see if it worked- he forgot the mickey mouse clips and I didn't have any so I don't know if we hit the sweet spot or not..

I just did that to a set of brand new arms for a 65 3 weeks ago. I put them on top about equal with the side position, 9.250 from the bushing C/L.
On the car and cable connected ok.

checklength.jpg

I just did that to a set of brand new arms for a 65 3 weeks ago. I put them on top about equal with the side position, 9.250 from the bushing C/L.
On the car and cable connected ok.

checklength.jpg

Gary, I have get into a ass scratching thing here, as that's where my wife says my memory is....:harhar:but the truth is....THE WAY I REMEMBER IT....

in MY car, I recall top mounting has some angle problem with the available cable dragging over the t arm or the frame of the car when the cable was applied, and given the road crud buildups and the Faryland inspections to get it tagged, I decided to go the behind the caliper position....now that also entailed a spring to hold the cable shroud away from the tires....something that other cars did also...so I heard....

at any rate, not into changing my arrangement around at this time....15+ years later, considering I have not used that ebrake ONCE in that time frame....

:harhar:

For "closure" on this post. I did it this last weekend, and here are my notes for others looking to do it......

Mount them on the top, pointing to the cable support. You'll need to bend one ear of the bracket in about 1/4" to fit on the t-arm at that angle. (You may want to trim that ear a little shorter so the fitting on the cable housing will clear it, & don't tweek the face while bending the ear.) Locate it with the corner of the bracket which is closest to the hub directly above the edge of the brake hose bracket. Weld the side ears only, a bead on the front will not allow the mickey mouse clip to seat completely. Don't tip it back too much or the cable housing may bind on the t-arm.

If your cable is stretched, you may want to set the bracket a just little bit farther back from the hub to take up some adjustment slack.

Last edited: