Adjustable Temperature Switch?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Been searching for a radiator fan temperature switch. Unfortunately you cant find the temp on/off settings for these switches. Summit lists a few but, when you look at the reviews, seems about 50% of people say they are on and off at dramatically different temperatures.

I found a few for old cars on Ebay and some show a set screw next to the terminal. I'm thinking this is an temperature adjustment? There is also 2 terminal switches with the same screw next to each terminal (presumably hi/lo). Anyone know if these old switches were adjustable?

TS-43-Other-ra-p.jpg

Can't answer your question - sorry. Buy I did buy 2 of these:
12695dbb551842dba.jpg
for my refrigeration system - to run fans from external power. Didn't install 'em so brought them home to run on the car instead. Haven't tried yet - but might be an alternative. Hey, only 11 bucks at Amazon. And there is a read out - but all in "C."

Cheers - Jim

This search term works:

adjustable thermostatic fan switch automotive

Lots of hits, pretty reasonably priced.

This search term works:

adjustable thermostatic fan switch automotive

Lots of hits, pretty reasonably priced.

All of the hits I see are the radiator "probe" switches. Thats not what I am looking for. I'm not so concerned with the temperature of the water in the radiator. More concerned with the engine.

Looks like I will have to use a fixed temperature switch. Found a source from Afco at Speedway that looks like it will work.

However, I am intrigued by the temperature "probe" style units for other purposes. You used to see this in auto A/C evaporators with black foamy looking stuff around it. This picture looks like the probe is band clamped and then foamed. You guys think this is to insulate the probe?

s-l1600-1.jpg

Nah, that insulation just assures a more accurate temp sense of the chilly pipe as it runs near enough to freezing that any lie to the probe by the outside air at near 190f or so will upset the coil temp to maybe freeze up......