TT: ESC question about your '82

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Marck, I'm trying to help out a guy with an ESC issue on his '82. His "repair manual" shows about 5 wires going to the ESC module (which seems functionally correct to me), but the picture he posted has 10 wires in the connector to the ESC module. My earliest field experience was with the '84 and later design ESC housings (and internal electronics), so dealing with an '82 is a new one for me. Can you shed any light on this harness wire count issue for me?

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: I've thought about it all night, and I can't figure out a reasonable reason for all the extra wires unless he's posting the wrong part.

Last edited:
Only 5 wires but the connector is an edge card with a lot more pinout positions.

There's a bare wire for the cable shield, a knock sensor input, 12v fused, spark retard sig. and ESC ground wire.

The ESC is mounted on the back of the ECM crable, there are a couple connectors there, the 2 large oens for the ECM and the translucent whiteish one for th ESC. The little golden brick like thing is the mysterious E-cell timer.

Maybe he is looking in the wrong compartment, th pass side has a bulky connector for the wiper delay module

Only 5 wires but the connector is an edge card with a lot more pinout positions. Makes sense.

There's a bare wire for the cable shield, a knock sensor input, 12v fused, spark retard sig. and ESC ground wire. Yep, sounds familiar.
The ESC is mounted on the back of the ECM crable, Okay, I didn't know that. there are a couple connectors there, the 2 large oens for the ECM and the translucent whiteish one for th ESC. The little golden brick like thing is the mysterious E-cell timer. Is that the thing that's supposed to erode/open up after a couple years?

Maybe he is looking in the wrong compartment, th pass side has a bulky connector for the wiper delay module

That sounds like a possibility.

Thanks again!

The e cell timer counts elapsed run time from new, some fables exist that it is the cause of CFI cars to quit after it does some mysterious who knows what. It does go into the ECM on the vehicle elapsed time pinout. All it did was turn on the check engine light after xxxx?? miles for a check up, I think it was cat con related. It was called something else for the 84 (or was it 82??) vette...forgot what it was... something something module... Either way, one year lists it as e cell the other as the something something module. I've seen where people cut it off out of fear it will disable their car.