unbelivable strange timing phenomena

Thats a good idea!
Far more simple than having to lift the front of the engine.

I have started to tear apart the front of the engine to get acess to the damper.
Will soon see if I can get it loose in a simple way.

The location of the timing pointer (tab) is the difference between a 7 and 8 inch balancer. Some years the 0 line on the balancer was in line with the keyway (or close) and other years it was 10* or so off. No reason to not use an 8" if it is easily available, just make sure you get the correct bolt on tab. You might have to cut the original one off the timing cover. Use a puller and installer.

The location of the timing pointer (tab) is the difference between a 7 and 8 inch balancer. Some years the 0 line on the balancer was in line with the keyway (or close) and other years it was 10* or so off. No reason to not use an 8" if it is easily available, just make sure you get the correct bolt on tab. You might have to cut the original one off the timing cover. Use a puller and installer.

You know Tim, years ago the old Pontiac engines had the damper/balancer just slip on/off, no puller necessary....WTF is about Chevy with having to do a puller, makes me want to hone out the damn thing and get over with it....

:hissyfit:

Got the 8" damper on. Worked perfectly to tilt the engine down by removing the gearbox rubber mounting.
The damper just barely cleared the front crossmember.
Performed a correct tdc indication with a piston stop according to Lars papers so now I'm dead on tdc.
Have not had time to test drive yet since I've been on vacaction...

Thank's for all your input!

Have driven the car for two weeks and as expected the ignition is dead on the markings.
That should be the end of this ordeal...

Now I have a leaking Yoke supplied with the Tremec gearbox. Brand new, top quality, complete with a leak :-(
Well, it's an easy fix!