Starter motor question

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
This is probably a dumb question, but what do the "R" and the "S" mean against the small posts on my starter solenoid? Are both the small posts the same? The wires that were connected to the small post were connected on the post closest to the block. Reconnecting them to the outer post would be easier.

I await your ridicule... :p

R = relay (sometimes used for a cold start relay but often used for supplying 12V to a coil for starting)
S = switched (ignition switch, it triggers the solenoid)
M = motor

The S small post is the sol coil, it pulls in and the batt cable is then attached to the starter, duh-obviously, and also that R term.....which was done to fire straight batt voltage to the + side of a point type coil, not needed for a damn thing IF you have a HEI, or later ign system....

you see the + of a point coil is driven by a resistance wire off the harness + switched source....IGN......and when measured with engine running will say about 9 volts or so on the + side of the coil....done that for electronic reasons, is the simple short answer....and about all you really need know, not to be snide about it.....but the esplanation is rather long....

:stirpot::sweat:

Not at all.
Watch out for the black ground wire. Some guys put it on the batt term. by mistake. It goes to the bell housing behind the starter.

Thanks Bird, I prolly would've done exactly that :footmouth:

Bird is the word there, but I go a bit further with another word or 2....

that black wire is the ground for you HVAC blower motor, and the high speed relay, and the wiper motor.....problem is, when that blower is on high speed, the voltage drop through that wire is about ONE VOLT, that's what mine was, so I upped it to a 8-10 ga from the blower, and routed it to the intake manifold so as no confustion every again....

don't ask...

:2nd::stirpot::devil:

Not at all.
Watch out for the black ground wire. Some guys put it on the batt term. by mistake. It goes to the bell housing behind the starter.

Thanks Bird, I prolly would've done exactly that :footmouth:

If you had, it would have let you know pretty quick-- the smoke would leak out of the black wire.. And since you work on airplanes, you know how damn difficult it is to put the smoke back in and get the correct pressure..

...since you work on airplanes, you know how damn difficult it is to put the smoke back in and get the correct pressure..
When I see smoke coming out of an aeroplane, I know how difficult it is to stand there and try and stop the smoke coming out - caveman instincts say RUN FORREST, RUN :shocking:

Still haven't received my harness from Zip yet - I think it's coming by carrier pigeon :suspicious:

...since you work on airplanes, you know how damn difficult it is to put the smoke back in and get the correct pressure..
When I see smoke coming out of an aeroplane, I know how difficult it is to stand there and try and stop the smoke coming out - caveman instincts say RUN FORREST, RUN :shocking:

Still haven't received my harness from Zip yet - I think it's coming by carrier pigeon :suspicious:

Being drop shipped from China and the one hung lo assy plant....

:devil:

hey Wayne, .... I got a couple of them laying around some where in the garage I'll sell...... For you a special deal....:D

Bubbas.jpg

Bullshark