What do you guys think?

I need a starter, the original one is dead.

What do you think of those mini starter like this one from Powermaster.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9000/

1) 99% of the time, a stock starter just needs brushes. $5.00

2) There is one good GM ministarter, and I have to look for the number.

3) I know nothing of the powermaster unit. Someone else will know.

If you have a 153 tooth flywheel I can give you a late model vette mini starter. Just pay shipping. It bench tested fine off jumper cables from my battery, I believe it is a gear reduction starter but my 90 has one just like it and it cranks my motor over fine even on 110 degree days

1989starter.jpg

I picked up one of the GM mini starters (I don't remember the application, and I just threw the box out when I moved) as an AutoZone rebuild when I was having some heat soak issues with the standard starter. It works quite well.

If you have a 153 tooth flywheel I can give you a late model vette mini starter. Just pay shipping. It bench tested fine off jumper cables from my battery, I believe it is a gear reduction starter but my 90 has one just like it and it cranks my motor over fine even on 110 degree days

168 Tooth, but thanks for the offer Jeff, Like I said, probably this one will turn out ok, I'll check first.

I guess that I'm getting the MrVette syndrome LOL
Things from another life are resurfacing.
I'm Joking Gene...

I picked up one of the GM mini starters (I don't remember the application, and I just threw the box out when I moved) as an AutoZone rebuild when I was having some heat soak issues with the standard starter. It works quite well.

That's exctly what I want to avoid LOL

I cant tell how many times I had to change the friggin thing because of that heat.

Of course wrapping it could help but not much room in there. so I tought a mini would help.

I need a starter, the original one is dead.

What do you think of those mini starter like this one from Powermaster.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9000/

1) 99% of the time, a stock starter just needs brushes. $5.00

2) There is one good GM ministarter, and I have to look for the number.

3) I know nothing of the powermaster unit. Someone else will know.

I forgot to mention the reason why I think it's dead...
It's been sitting since the 80's

Like I said, maybe it can be brought back to life LOL

Well, last time I took the starter apart, cleaned up everything, and reassembled it.

Didnt work, I then decided it was dead and put it aside and start looking for a replacement.

After thinking about it, and reading what Bird told me, I took it apart again this morning.

Everything looks allright, I did turn the solenoid contacts 180 deg because the contacts were a bit used but the brushes looked pretty good and made good contact.

Heres an example of what I mean when I say I turned the contacts 180 deg.
1804f8b04ef4a04d.jpg

This is not an actual GM solenoid and the contacts were not as bad but it shows what I mean.
(I dont have my cam here with me.)

Just pulled the bolts out and turn them around, put them back in, little trick I used in another life.

Now why was the starter NOT working???

Well, lesson no 1, USE A GOOD FULLY CHARGED BATTERY LOL
lesson no 2, dont asume it's dead because it's been sitting for years!

The battery I used was the battery from my wifes car, (Mustang GT) that sat on the shelves for the winter.
It wasnt charged and the starter didnt have enough juice.

Charged it up all night and this morning, starter works real fine!
matter of fact,
When I connected the wires to jumpstart it, the damn thing almost jumped off the workbench

It's back from the dead after 25 years!

Last edited:
I recall installing one of those kits from that TSB on a motor home back in my dealer days. (daze?).
Ol' Red has the starter on it that was installed when it was built- (Nov 68). Been off a few times for different reasons, but it's never had anything done to it. Since I've had it, I always keep and eye on the battery cables and grounds. Low voltage will fry an electric motor right quick.