Distributor housings and internal parts

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Got a question. As we all know, the older tach drive distributors are iron housings, while the later points housings are aluminum. I'd like to somehow transplant my (heavy!) distributor's internals into an aluminum housing. I've heard that there are some tach drive HEI clones out there. Are they using custom shaft parts, or "old" type shaft internals in the HEI shaped housing? I'm just trying to figure out if I could modify one of these HEI clones by cutting and welding on a small cap base, or just weld the side gear holder "lump" onto an aluminum housing points distributor.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Mike

I know of no alum point housing,except the old mallory dual point units, but they use their own guts.Boots knew not to make them interchange.
The HEI tach drives use a custom housing, and custom parts, but are the same internals as the GM HEI., but with a tach drive shaft.

Mike
You ever considered having the factory tach changed over to electric? This would allow you to run the light weight Dist and loose a little more from the cable and gears on the back of the gauge.

Just a thought!

Mike
You ever considered having the factory tach changed over to electric? This would allow you to run the light weight Dist and loose a little more from the cable and gears on the back of the gauge.

Just a thought!

Yeh, I"m shocked that wasn't done long ago.....:twitch::eek:

Mike

Just a thought!

I understand where you're coming from, and I can't argue with your logic. My problem is there are fewer things I hate more than digging into the dash of a car. I've put off (so far) swapping out the heavy (column) brackets in there just because of where they're at. Perhaps I might be able to talk myself (sometime) into doing a couple parts swap while I'm in there.

PS: Phil, I was at Grissom for the Super September event last month. Had a good time seeing a bunch from the club and a few old Delco co-workers. Sorry I didn't run into you anywhere while I was there. Maybe next spring.

Mike

Just a thought!

I understand where you're coming from, and I can't argue with your logic. My problem is there are fewer things I hate more than digging into the dash of a car. I've put off (so far) swapping out the heavy (column) brackets in there just because of where they're at. Perhaps I might be able to talk myself (sometime) into doing a couple parts swap while I'm in there.

PS: Phil, I was at Grissom for the Super September event last month. Had a good time seeing a bunch from the club and a few old Delco co-workers. Sorry I didn't run into you anywhere while I was there. Maybe next spring.

Eh, quit your bitchen olde man, if I can rebuild a motor home with a rusty skeleton, by using my as issued 66 y/o rusty skeleton, you surely can redo a dash,

like the 'necks' say.....taint' nuttin' but a Thang'......:banghead::ill:

:hissyfit::hissyfit::gurney:

Would the old Mallory tach drive distributor work? I guess you would have to figure a way to get the HEI cap on it? I have one and, unless I'm mistaken, they are pretty much easily available.

Mike

Just a thought!

Yea I was unable to get to ANY event this year do to work. Next year hopefully will be different. I am looking at buying a C5 or maybe a C6 if the prices keep droping. Jeremy is buying a C3 to have ready for next year ( you will probably get some questions when we get into building it) so hopefully will be able to make most if not all the events next year.